Seaworthy and Seakindly Plastic

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
solosailor
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by solosailor »

What is considered the most Seaworthy and Seakindly of the Classic Plastic?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Whichever boat the person you are talking to owns. :<)

(The point is that it's entirely subjective, and that "seaworthiness" is more about the skipper/crew than about the boat.)
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Check out John Holtrup's 'sail data'. He's a NA who came up with a vaguely (paraphasing his own words) meaningful number for the comfort one might expect from a particular boat.

Comfort isn't the most important thing, thinking of physical suitability of the boat and crew, but not being beaten up by the motion is important.

My own prediliction is to look at the features of boats that are known ocean cruisers and compare those features to the subject boat. Things like: small ports, small opening ports, small companionway, small and few hatches, small well-drained cockpit well, bolted and glassed hull-deck, inward-turned hull-deck joint, grabrails, robust construction, robust rig, no core below the waterline, attached rudder (not a skeg and not a spade), nice longish keel, no CB, accessible inside of the hull (no liner), deep accessible bailable bilge.

Our North East 38 would not meet many of these criteria. Many other boats whose compromises are in favor of racing, local cruising comfort, or low cost have been around the globe.
Tom Young
Skilled Systems Installer

Seaworthy design can have some flaws.

Post by Tom Young »

Quetzalsailor wrote: Our North East 38 would not meet many of these criteria. Many other boats whose compromises are in favor of racing, local cruising comfort, or low cost have been around the globe.
Neither would our old boat. But it's more than seaworthy enough for what we use it for. Image

And now after decades of coastal sailing that has taken us up and down and beyond the east coast of the US, many of the features that are considered more seaworthy would detract from the enjoyment of how we sail.

An enormous cockpit large enough to sleep athwartship on the bridgedeck could be a liability at sea. But a tiny footwell surrounded by uncomfortable deck to sit on wouldn't serve a family of four for decades of coastal sailing. We've grown u p together, very comfortably, much of that time in this large cockpit.

Large glass ports, much the vogue 50 years ago are certainly a liability at sea. They alone deserve caution in how and where you sail. Then again, they make for a light and airy cabin that has left us with countless visual memories of beautiful sunsets and sunrises in some of the most beautiful anchorages in the world. I'm not a fan of dark cabins.

Of course there are modifications, storm shutters, etc. that can improve the safety of these old boats. But mostly I think reasonable caution on the part of those onboard would be most important part of safe ocean crossing.

I could go on and on. Every boat is a compromise as well all know. Knowing how you will actually sail may bring you and the boats design together with the least compromise.
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

If you're interested in number crunching between two boats this site will keep you busy for a while!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Ganges #363
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Ganges #363 »

Ted Brewer has a very good article on 'Seakindliness' in the current issue of Good Old Boat. It is about a comfortable motion, not about 'seaworthy' things like small cockpits. The article contains several boat pictures and diagrams.

One picture is of a motorsailer of his design that took Second in Class in a Transpac several years ago. It had huge windows in the main cabin and sailed through many days of rough weather. Ted credits the good finish to the easy motion that resulted in a well rested and well fed crew. (He was on the crew).

Short version: stay moderate, avoid extremes in design.

Bill
Ganges #363
solosailor
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Ted Brewer

Post by solosailor »

I read Ted's contribution to Good Old Boat. I just subscribed. He alone make buying this mag worthwhile IMO.