where to find...short list

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
solosailor
Deck Grunge Scrubber

where to find...short list

Post by solosailor »

My current short list is something like this:

Contessa 32
S & S 34
Allied Luders 33
Allied boats
Baba 34
Union 36
Westsail 42
Alberg's

Okay, what am I missing?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

You've probably done this already, but it can be fun and instructive to go to Yachtworld or wherever and do a search for unspecified boats in a certain size range that suits your needs and desires--with no other criteria entered. Certainly this can bring up huge numbers of boats, but if you have a boring day it's quite interesting to see some of the boats that pop up, ones you may never have considered--but might put on the list as a result.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

Tim wrote:You've probably done this already, but it can be fun and instructive to go to Yachtworld or wherever and do a search for unspecified boats in a certain size range that suits your needs and desires--with no other criteria entered. Certainly this can bring up huge numbers of boats, but if you have a boring day it's quite interesting to see some of the boats that pop up, ones you may never have considered--but might put on the list as a result.
I have spent more than a day or two doing this very thing only to come up with "none of the above". But Tim is absolutely right about the how fun it can be and how many interesting and unusual boat there are out there.
catamount
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

I have to say, I found my present boat doing exactly as Tim suggests.
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Us, too.

I cruised Yacht World for a couple years, using various search routines. Many hours can be happily whiled away.

There are precious few sources which you can use to delimit your searches (ditto for cars!). I bought Mauch's three volumes but they're of limited value: not much information, poor graphics. John Holtrup's 'Sail Data' is entertaining.

I would have wished to have a searchable database with more choices on it, well beyond cost, engine fuel, LOA, year, mfr, hull material, location.

We looked at (boarded) more than 40 fiberglass (no balsa core in the hull) sailboats in the 35-42' range, in the under $70k range, the under 170 (and preferably 150 or under) PHRF range. Then I added 'decent interior woodwork and layout' and Sue added 'good interior light, ventilation and comfort'. The going starts to get pretty thin!
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

And when you get tired of searching Yachtworld for "The One" you can set the criteria in their Personal Boat Shopper and have them email you once a week with links to new listings. Ain't life great!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Idon84
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Cosmic Dancer
Boat Type: Hess Cutter

Post by Idon84 »

How about the Westsail32?
Bryon
Cosmic Dancer
1980, Hess Cutter.
http://www.picasaweb.com/idon84
Chris Campbell
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

Here's a Contessa 32 that is reasonably priced - not sure if you're looking for specific boats yet: http://kingston.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicl ... dZ68690317

Fitting in nicely with the Luders and the Albergs is my old boat, the LeComte Northeast 38. Also: Sea Sprite 34, Nicholson 31, 32, 35, if you've got the Baba, might as well have the Hans Christian 33 & 38 and various Tayanas, Mason 43 is on the high end, but they're too lovely not to look at, there are a bunch of Cheoy Lees which merit attention with the usual caveats, Ericson 41, Hallberg-Rassy, Ohlson 38, Pacific Seacraft, almost anything designed by Chuck Paine, Rustler 31 & 36, Southern Cross 31 & 35, Spencer 35 & 42, various Wauquiez boats (older ones)...

That's actually a list of some of what I've got saved searches for in Yachtworld! There are plenty of others that catch a larger group - size, age, construction material, location, price range, keywords, etc. As everyone else has said, Yachtworld is a wonderful resource, and a really great way to get a feel for the market. If you know a broker, they have different access to it, also - they can look up what's sold in the past, and what it sold for, how long a boat has been on the market, and what it was originally listed for, etc. Very useful information if you're shopping.

I'm looking for a somewhat similar boat - but smaller and for less money. The Contessa 32 is the top of the size range for me - and beyond the top of the money range...

Good luck, and have fun!
David

Your current list

Post by David »

You have quite the range of boats there in terms of displacement, costs to maintain, to haul and store and labor to operate. From a sweet little Contessa 32 which could be easily singlehanded up to the massive Westsail 42 which will take a lot of elbow grease and effort (and money). Just the range in needed ground tackle between those two extremes is very significant.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

For the money of anything in the upper third of that list, I'd be inclined to pick up a certain Javelin and turn it into precisely the boat I want.
gone2ddogs
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Silver Girl
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by gone2ddogs »

You might try looking for the owners groups for the boats your interested in. That is how I found my Triton

John

Triton Yawl #15 Silver Girl