An Alden Challenger for sale.

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Tom Young
Skilled Systems Installer

An Alden Challenger for sale.

Post by Tom Young »

This one needs some work and upgrading but appears (I haven't seen it) to be intact and pretty well maintained. They don't come up for sale often especially in reasonable condition.

Jan hasn't put an exact price on it but sounds very realistic about what the boat will sell for knowing what it needs. She is serious about selling. She can be contacted directly by phone posted below. Also, I'd be glad to answer any questions about these boats. I've owned ours for 10 years and have dealt with most of the designs inherent problems.

Here's the only photo available at this point;

http://949.reno2.com/download/file.php?id=10&mode=view

Here's what the owner posted on our Challenger website;

I would greatly appreciate anybody’s efforts to spread the word about a Challenger for sale. Here is information on my boat, ‘Alliance’, which is moored in Marion , MA and winters at Triad Boat Yard in Mattapoisett.

Built: 1961 by Halmatic, finished by Robert Dereckter, N.Y.
Engine: Westerbeke 33 (diesel), new in 1985 and annually maintained by Burr Brothers Boat Yard in Marion, MA. Batteries are new this season.
Sails: Main is older and does need to be replaced, Mizzen is five years old, Jib is three years old (club footed boom)
Other sails came with the boat: Genoa (#3 and #1), Mizzen Spinnaker, Cruising Spinnaker, and some others that I’m blanking on right now. Sail covers: All are white. Main is 2004, Mizzen and Jib are less than ten years old, but in good shape. Dodger is four years old, it is a very light silver color.
Standing Rigging: replaced three years ago
Running Rigging: some has been replaced, but much is old
Hull: last awl grip was in 2001 or 02; light grey color with deep purple boot top (it looks black). In 1987 the hull was dried out and prepped with Interlux 2000/2001 prior to being awlgripped.
Equipment: Kenyon log, depth finder, GPS and ship-to-shore are handheld
General Condition: I’m probably not the best person to ask!! That said, the price will reflect that the boat is older and needs work.
--The engine is virtually re-built as Burr Brothers—with the exception of this year—thoroughly checks it out and makes any and all repairs.
--Cabin was last wooded and varnished, with 12 coats, in 2002 and 2003; there is one persistent leak and only two others that occurred, once this season, after a torrential storm. Toe rail needs work. Cabin top was re-glassed, as needed, and painted four years ago, and remains in good shape.
--Cockpit needs attention
--Interior needs updating, especially the galley. Toilet and holding tank are up to date.