Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
george
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by george »

... is apparently for sale.

http://www.htmlgear.tripod.com/guest/co ... ritonstuff

I had read this site for over a year (i think) and have always wanted to work on a restoration project.

I helped restore a 22-footer some years ago.

The problem is I live in Atlanta, and all the Tritons seem to be in the Northeast.

I have emailed the seller and asked the basic ... how bad a shape is it in and how much do you want questions. I also asked how much he thought it would cost to haul it to Atlanta.

Thoughts?

-- George
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Let us know what you find out about the boat, and you're sure to get some good opinions on her value and how you might proceed.

Cross-country shipping isn't cheap, but if it gets you the boat you want, then so be it! I think it can be reasonable enough, but will definitely be a chunk nonetheless. I think that you can research this online and even get quotes from some places. Do a Google search for "Boat transport" or "Boat Hauling" and see what comes up. Shipping is worth it if you feel that finding a boat closer to home is not likely. The northeast definitely has the highest concentration of Tritons, since they were originally built here.

Good luck, and I hope to hear what you find out about #384.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
george

Post by george »

I was told the $6,000 and the boat has not been in the water for 14 years.

I sent Tim some pics ... but I have seen seaworthy Tritons for less than that.

Maybe not REAL seaworthy, but at least sailable.

Edit: I am adding text from the e-mail below as I do not consider it private correspondence. If that is not cool please delete it!

----

The boat needs some cosmetic work and the fore deck is spongy and should be replaced. The atomic 4 engine needs a tune up it was rebuilt about 14 years ago and has less than 50 running hours on it. The boat has been idle on dry land for about 14 years. I will attach some pictures. Looking to get 5500 to 6000 for the boat, but we could talk if you are really interested.

----
Tim

Post by Tim »

Here are the pictures of #383. First question: how recent are these pictures? She could look much different than this now. These photos are obviously not brand new, given that it is summer in the photos. The boat's in Rhode Island, right?

She looks very basic and plain. $6,000 could well be pushing it (most likely, in fact) but of course it all depends on her true condition and what gear and equipment is included. Being out of the water for 14 years does not bode well, but perhaps she was looked after during that time, and didn't deteriorate badly. Long-term dry storage usually indicates neglect, but not always.

Spongy foredeck probably means that the decks are worse than expected. Almost never do you find that the problem is less severe than you expect. With the deck repairs alone, I would say that $6,000 is probably too high. If the A4 was well pickled and properly stored, it probably needs very little, other than the tune up that the seller indicates. But again, who knows at this point.

I'm guessing basic, more-or-less original interior. Sails are a minimum of 14 years old, and probably twice that. Perhaps serviceable, but not too great no matter what. Maybe the mice found them during storage...again, who knows?

If you're interested in the boat, you first need to find out as much as you can from the seller. A real equipment list, as many pictures as possible (of everything), etc. From there, you can make the determination whether or not it is worth pursuing. Forget the price at this moment; you can better judge that once you've seen the whole story. Tell the seller you might be very interested, but don't want to commit to anything till you know how negotiable the price might be. You're a long way away and want to give the boat a good home, but have to be sure before you get truly serious.

Finally, you need to decide whether you would even entertain paying close to the asking price for the boat, on the very slim chance that she is worth it. (unlikely) If you're not willing to even come close, assuming that everything is far better than expected, then don't bother wasting the seller's time. This is not to say that you shouldn't offer less--and possibly much less--but if, say, $5000 is more than you would ever pay, regardless of condition, then you have to look seriously at whether you should pursue this one. This could be the sort of seller that has their sentimental value wrapped up in their image of the boat anc could stubbornly stick to their asking price, no matter what evidence to the contrary arises.

Then, you need an impartial inspection of the boat (i.e. survey). This is the only way to not only determine her condition, but also worth. If you can see the boat yourself in person, you can better judge, but if not you need someone you can trust to take a zillion photos and give you some unbiased impressions.

Let me know if I can help further.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Photos 3, 4, and 5 show a curious little bit of "pucker" near the bow.

Of course Tim is correct, a survey is certainly in order, but for a moment let's imagine a reasonable best-case scenario....
1. the engine starts after an hour of tinkering, but cutless bearing is dryrotted and cracked, as are all hoses.
2. the foredeck rot doesn't extend aft of the hatch.
3. the spars and standing rigging are all serviceable.
4. the cockpit coamings are actually present and not rotten.
5. all brightwork must be fully stripped and refinished.
6. The sails aren't fit for bag stock. Junk.
7. The interior paint is intact, but all cloth must be trashed.
8. the rudder seems like it could get you through a couple of seasons at least.
9. the wiring hasn't been monkeyed too badly.
10. That pucker at the bow is just a shadow from a nearby tree, not some horribly-faired bondo job. Gelcoat is chalked dry within a mil of it's life.
11. the boat is in an actual boatyard so you don't need to hire a crane to place it on an ordinary transport trailer.

Under all of the above conditions, I'd price this boat at $4000. Adjust downward from there depending on what else is found wrong. That's about all the southern new england market will bear these days, I think. A LOT of old boats have been on the market for a WHILE around here. A yard near my house has about 10 boats lined up along the road with a big handpainted "BEST OFFER" sign. I keep meaning to post pics here, but I never seem to be in the neighborhood when I have the camera in daylight hours.

RI-atlanta transport would cost $800-$1500, I'd think. Plus hoist fees at each end.
Tim

Post by Tim »

And, of course, let's not overlook the frightening--but very real--possibility that this boat has sat with a frayed blue tarp for 12 of the past 14 years. God knows what sort of evils the interior and such might have been subjected to. There could have been rain and snow falling inside the boat for all those years. And dirt and mold and mildew. I just know how bad my #100 (now becoming the Daysailor) was after sitting similarly for 10 years or so. Bad, bad, bad.

#381 sat for a minimum of seven years on the yard, unused and neglected. She was a big project and needed everything.

Mike's scenario is probably the best case, as he said. 4K is probably closer to realistic if all is truly as purported, but we don't have enough information to say for sure. It could easily be worth less, if there's a real project boat lurking behind those old photos. In almost any case, $6000 seems high. A Triton must be pretty decent for that price--ready to sail, if cosmetically imperfect with some structural issues. Again: not enough info yet to make an informed opinion. Hearsay from the seller will never be enough. Why is it that sellers never volunteer copius information? You always have to squeeze it out of them one tiny bit at a time. As if you're not going to find it all out at some point anyway...

Ask for photos of the interior, mast, rigging, sails, cushions, cockpit, engine, keel, rudder, decks, ports, and equipment. Multiple angles, multiple shots of all. Ask for an equipment list with everything that is included in the sale. If it's not on the list, you don't include it in your calculations for making an informed bid. If the boat is still at that private house, you'll need to find a hauler with a hydraulic trailer. Multiple operations at each ends will add too much to your cost unless the boat is a steal. The stands are worth $300 or so if you had to replace them. If they're included in the sale, don't account for them in any offer.

You're too far away from this boat to mess around if the sellers won't accommodate your requests for detailed information. It's too expensive to jet up for the day, and too expensive to survey the boat blindly without knowing more first.

Buying an old Triton is well worth it, but too many sellers screw around and make it too hard. The boats so often just not worth anywhere close to what the sellers would like to think. It's a harsh reality for them, but realistically, why should they expect any differently?
The Good Goose
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by The Good Goose »

I Paid 5250 for my triton three years ago. It had sat for at least five years. Other than being extremely dirty it was in fact a sailable boat. It had a fairly new yanmar diesel and very good sails. The interior was rough and the deck was bad. I went through every ad in the classifieds at the NTA site. Many of the very old ads were still available. I looked at at least ten tritons before I bought mine. The diesel and the good sails were what attracted me to this boat.

Most lower priced Tritons need deck work. The three most expensive things that most older trtions need are engines, sails and decks. If you can find one that only needs one of the three you are way ahead of the game. I would not hesitate to make very low offers on boats that need alot of work. A triton that needs new decks engine work and probably new sails is not worth 6000. I think you could find tritons for 10 to 12000 that are really spiffed out. With 3000 for new sails 6000 for a new engine and countless hours and alot of money spent on epoxy fiberglass and paint for a new deck It really makes sense to look for a boat in good shape.

Hope you find a great one
Brock
MarkW

depending where it is

Post by MarkW »

Depending where in RI it is I could drop by and take a look see for you, I need ot go down to Portsmouth (NE corner of RI) where our boat is this wekend to begin spring commissioning and I can cdrop by, take some current digital shots and give you my common man view - let me know

Mark
george

Post by george »

Thanks, but the boat is actually in Western Massachussets.

I am not sure where exactly.

I am buying a new house this summer ... and am holding off on a sailboat purchase until I get more permanently settled in.