1960 Rhodes Swiftsure (33') on E-bay

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

1960 Rhodes Swiftsure (33') on E-bay

Post by Rachel »

I thought I'd mention that there is a 1960 Rhodes Swiftsure (33' center-boarder built for Seafarer at DeVries-Lentsch in Holland) listed on E-bay right now. As of the second day of the auction there is one bid (right at the minimum $10,000), and a "Buy-it-now" price of $15,000.

I spoke with the seller at length, and also went to look at the boat yesterday; if anyone is seriously interested, but not able to get to the boat, I wouldn't mind sharing what I found.

It's funny: For years I've held up the Swiftsure as one of my dream boats. It has so many features I like, and is just a gorgeous design in my opinion. But I'd never been on one. Well, I didn't hate it, but after a few minutes aboard it just didn't feel like "me." So ten years of fantasizing about one was "cured" in five minutes aboard. Heh.

Here's the link:

http://tinyurl.com/6kauvr

Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I dig the throttle thingy, but just the photo of that gearshift is enough to make my ankles bleed.

Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Figment wrote:I dig the throttle thingy, but just the photo of that gearshift is enough to make my ankles bleed.
Oh but it's not a gaudy, shiny, stainless-trinket sort of bleeding. No, no! It's the deep, rich draw of blood from a substantial casting of bronze! That's completely different ;)

Boy was that cockpit HUGE -- the fantail went for miles (or so it seemed to eyes accustomed to 30' and under).

R.
Triton 185
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: O'day Mariner, Pearson Triton

Post by Triton 185 »

It's funny: For years I've held up the Swiftsure as one of my dream boats. It has so many features I like, and is just a gorgeous design in my opinion. But I'd never been on one. Well, I didn't hate it, but after a few minutes aboard it just didn't feel like "me."
I have always liked this boat, but have never been on one either. Is there anything that just says NO......or, what doesn't feel right about the design.
jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by jhenson »

Rachel,

I'd be curious to know what you impression was of this design. Likes and dislikes would be helpfull.

Thanks,

Joe