Mystery boat

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Mystery boat

Post by Figment »

Hey Dennis, what was that Bill Tripp looking boat that showed up last night? Vaguely a columbia somethingorother? Needs a paint job, but damn nice lines!

At first I thought they were cruisers, (wind generator and all) but then they seemed to be maneuvering prestart, and I saw them later in the evening as well, so either they were racing or they were mid-course spectators. Not on the scratch sheet, not in the results.
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Damn, I wasn't there. Legacy is on the hard so Nick can do some repairs. The damage on Legacy did not appear to be much but the bane of fin keel struck: stress cracks on the hull at the forward and aft points of the keel. So while you guys were racing, I was moving Paper Moon up to Ram Island. The new diesel purrs like a kitten and after a little clean up, I will be posting pictures.

Saturday I will see Chuck Chorlton, I will ask him about the Trip...... OH! was she Sally II, white with what looks like paint rubbed off from pylons near the bow? That was Chris Nyman's boat. Chris owns Ford's Lobster. Sold her two years ago. I have no idea what happened with the paint, she looked fine last year. She is a beautiful boat. The big sister to the LeCompt Metalist.

The wind generator was the one that came with Paper Moon. It was never installed and I didn't want it so I sold it to him.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Figment

Post by Figment »

Yes, that's it. "Sally Too"
LazyGuy

Post by LazyGuy »

There is a lines drawing of her hanging in Tom's shop. Chris had an original blue print so I made some copies. I will let you know. I certainly am curious about what happened to the paint job. I know it was either brightsides or easypoxy maybe the winter cover wore it off but it is a beautiful boat with great lines and a bad paint job.
Cheers

Dennis

LazyGuy

Post by LazyGuy »

Fig,

The drawing is gone from Tom's shop but according to Tom, it is an old Off Soundings boat. Chuck Chorlton has the details such as loa, lwl, weight from the old OS data. The original owner contracted Bristol Yachts to build just that one. It looks like a medalist on steroids.

Speaking of Medalist, Donzo from the mudheads launched Serena a Medalist that except for the condition of the paint on the decks is stellar. I think it is the first time she has been launched in three or four years. I have always liked Tripp designs.

I will not be racing for a couple of weeks. One week in Bremerton WA for a Symposium and the next cruising.
Cheers

Dennis

Figment

Post by Figment »

Got more info on the Sally Too yesterday. The paint adhesion issue: it's an aluminum hull. HA!!!

Sirena was some nice eye-candy in the prestart. Didn't see her much after the start, I think she may have been a bit under-staffed for the day.
LazyGuy

Post by LazyGuy »

Plus there were politics involved.

I love Donzo and he can tell a great story but it seldom matches the other side. That does not mean the other side is the one telling the truth but there was something about his old PHRF rating. The RIYC measurer (shall remain nameless until I hear opposing argument) subtracted 30 seconds from the previous official PHRF rating for his boat. Needless to say, Donzo was not happy and saw the race as an exercise in futility. Then he fell overboard getting into the dingy (I don't know but assume alcohol was involved).

I had no idea Sally too was aluminum! I remember Chris talking about barrier coat and missing the window for the first coat of paint. I just figured the brightsides did not stick to the barrier coat after sanding with 250grit. It was suggested that he sand with 250, one more barrier coat and apply paint in the window but he didn't want to invest in yet another gallon of barrier coat.
Cheers

Dennis

Figment

Post by Figment »

hmmm he might have a legit beef. PHRFNE shows a base handicap of 234 for the medalist. RIYC results show a rating of 205.

The other side of the coin may be equally valid, though. 234 does seem generous.