Classic Aussie Plastic

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
surfingminniwinni
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Classic Aussie Plastic

Post by surfingminniwinni »

Hi all,

This is my 1st post to this great forum. I thought you might like to see the Australian Built SouthCoast 36, these boat were based on the Bruce Roberts 36 with a few modifications including centre cockpit. They were built in the 80's. They have a shallow draft & full keel and are a great sea boat.

Have a look at the owners group, there are some great pics.

http://groups.msn.com/Southcoast36YachtOwners

Look forward to your comments,

Cheers,
suntreader
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by suntreader »

I haven't seen the SouthCoast 36 before, that is a nice looking boat. It isn't 'classic' in the sense that a Triton is, that's for sure, but it has a good solid 'glass cruiser look to it.

I really like the center cockpit for cruising, it looks like there is a walkthrough in some of the pictures too, something I don't consider as essential as some but still nice. The ketch rig looks good too with a substantial mizzen. From a few angles it looks like an Out Island 41, not in a bad way, but it looks like it was built for the same intent. Without any specs or drawings it is hard to get too into detail with the boat. Looks good with a hardtop too.

David
Seafarer
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Is there a good way to look like an OI 41?

Post by Seafarer »

You wrote:

The ketch rig looks good too with a substantial mizzen. From a few angles it looks like an Out Island 41, not in a bad way,"

Now I have my tongue planted firmly in my cheek, because I've chartered OI's more than once, and they make great charter platforms - and god knows they have tons of storage - but I do have to ask... From what exterior angle does the OI look good?
John, CD28
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Tiara
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Welcome (Painted Prop?)

Post by John, CD28 »

Welcome to the forum Glenn; the SouthCoast 36 looks like a good solid ocean boat.

I'm sure you'll find this forum a wealth of information, filled with generous & helpful people. The technical nuts & bolts nature of this board is unlike any other. It's like reading through an interactive Nigel Calder book with multiple personality disorder; a truly unique experience.

I have a question for you. Clicking through the SouthCoast 36 group, I noticed what appears to be a primed or painted prop on Cleopatra. Is this common in your area?

Cheers,
John
Sailing involves the courage to treasure adventure, and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
surfingminniwinni
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Thanks for your comments

Thanks everyone. for your comments it great to hear your thoughts. I must look up the Outer Island 41.

John thanks for the welcome, most aussie yachts prime & paint the props or heat lanoline grease into them. We have a lot of problems with growth and as you know a shell on the prop can affect motoring performance.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

It's like reading through an interactive Nigel Calder book with multiple personality disorder;
Nice!

Very nice.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
suntreader
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by suntreader »

"It's like reading through an interactive Nigel Calder book with multiple personality disorder"

I hadn't been able to put my finger on it before but that hits the nail on the head. Accurate.

The Morgan Out Island 41 is a much maligned early dedicated charter-designed boat from Florida. Built in huge numbers and available cheap they are ubiquitous all over the east coast. Basically they are big, comfy, ugly, dogs that owners tend to love and everyone else tends to make fun of. I sort of like that.

Anyway, from the aft quarter the transom looked similar to me and the low forward deck house reminded me of the 41's quasi-flush deck forward. I was just pointing out that I thought I saw some semblance but didn't want to imply any slight. I just calls 'em like I sees 'em.
Seafarer
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Morgan Out Islands

Post by Seafarer »

Lest anyone think my earlier comment about the Morgan Out Island was unfair, let me stress that the boat was damned near perfect for her intended purpose.... a BIG, comfortable, reliable boat for groups to enjoy their charter vacations aboard. Lots of storage, lots of deck to loll about on, and lots of cabins for privacy below.

The only negatives I have ever heard about the Morgans were that a) in the looks deparment they were a sad follow-up to Charlie Morgan's earlier designs (especially the 34); and b) that tacking an OI 41 frequently involved turning the engine on to "encourage" the bow to come across the wind.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... (I tend to like the 34); and I can attest to the 41's inability to tack reliably under sail alone. I'd STILL take one as a Charter in a minute.
surfingminniwinni
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Sorry guys, I didnt want to start a argument on the merits of Morgan Out Islands
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

As has been mentioned, beauty and function are both in the eye (and purpose) of the beholder. I'm just adding this anecdotally since we're on the subject (and not because I have any real knowledge, mind you). And of course it's always fun to talk about boats.

I have a co-worker who owned a Tartan 34 for years. At one point, he and his wife sailed it from Milwaukee all the way to the Med, and then back home via the Caribbean. This was years ago, and I think even pre-GPS. Still had the original Atomic 4.

Eventually they wanted a larger boat, with more long-term live-aboard capability. They shopped and shopped, never once looking at an OI, because they just knew they didn't want "one of those."

At some point they did finally decide to look at one, and lo and behold they liked it. It was roomy and in good condition, they thought it looked sturdy, and the price was right. I think they've owned it about ten years now, and they love it. (I mean, if they won the lottery they might buy something else, but that doesn't count.)

My co-worker is semi-retired, so he works a couple of months spring and fall, then cruises on the boat in summer, and then either goes back home to the Midwest during winter (his wife is still working, so she cruises when she can), or goes someplace further south. He's taken the boat up and down the coast numerous times, and he's not a "motor up and down the ICW" type. I mean he does get out and sail. With the ketch rig, the sails aren't huge (or as huge as they could be, at any rate).

Last summer he sailed up to New York City and took a mooring for a couple of months, sampling what the city had to offer by rowing dinghy, bicycle, subway, and shoe. Next year he's planning to head back over to Gibraltar.

Apparently his is one of the later models wherein they modified the keel somewhat for better "performance." It still looks strangely shallow when the boat is on the hard ("are you SURE there's no centerboard?!), and it does make more leeway than he'd like, but ... the compromise strikes again.

A few years ago someone cast off a MaxProp that he fixed up and installed on his boat, and he said that made a huge difference in sailing performance - if I remember correctly he said a knot or maybe a knot-and-a-half.

Anyway, I'm now digressing from my digression. I just thought I'd throw this post in because (probably typically), when I first met him and found out he owned an Out-Island 41, I was one of those people thinking, "Criminy, what a pig." But as I've learned more about the boat and why he chose it (and have heard about his adventures each year), I've changed my attitude toward it. I don't think I'd ever choose one for myself, but it works for him.

R.