Anyone Know this Design?

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Triton 185
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: O'day Mariner, Pearson Triton

Anyone Know this Design?

Post by Triton 185 »

This plastic boat is listed on ebay as a 1990 Morgan 46, but it looks like 1960's vintage. However, are those aluminum toe rails?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... otohosting

I like her lines - nice transom and overhangs. The person selling know's very little about her. The boat looks somewhat like a 45' Morgan - keel Sloop. This is the link to the keel sloop on Charlie Morgans site.

http://www.charleymorgan.com/Morgan_45.htm
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

That boat's been on there a couple times. She has nice lines, but the design screams 1970s. Given that the boat appears to be a partially finished (mostly unfinished) kit sort of thing, with no ports or hardware or interior or any of that, it's possible, I suppose, that the hull was actually built in 1990, but clearly the design is from much earlier.

Interesting boat. I wonder what the reserve is; the starting bid seems about right to me, given what it would take to properly rebuild what's there and then finish the boat's construction. At least she has a mast!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Chris Campbell
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

Could it be one of these?

http://tinyurl.com/yovget
Admin wrote:Link edited for readability.
Tim

Post by Tim »

That sure looks similar, doesn't it...right down to the very narrow cabin trunk.
Capn_Tom
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by Capn_Tom »

I like the phrase "needs finishing work". Obviously a master of the understatement.
The board does not cut itself short!
LazyGuy
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Quote "I like the phrase "needs finishing work"."

It attracts more potential buyers than "Needs Hand Grenade"
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Gorgeous shape. Charlie had a great eye back in the '60s. It's a funny mix between a '60s CCA hull and a '70s Morgan flush-ish deck like his M27, 30, 33, and 36.

I had drooled over stuff like this before we moved out of our '72 Morgan 27 to the '70 LeComte NE 38, but my wife instructed me that we were buying a boat to sail, not to be another project!

You old boat guys might have seen the much smaller classic plastic in the background of the last picture. What is it?
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Quetzalsailor wrote:You old boat guys might have seen the much smaller classic plastic in the background of the last picture. What is it?
I'm not sure how I feel about being an "old boat guy," but that looks to be a Columbia Sabre.

Rachel
Triton 185

Post by Triton 185 »

After doing some research on this boat, I purchased her. This is what I found out:

This boat was originally designed by Morgan and produced in the Morgan Yacht yard in St. Petersburg FL from 1967-1970 as the 45-1, keel sloop. When the racing rules changed for handicapping ocean racing yachts in the early 70’s, the design became less desirable as a racer and Morgan sold the molds after producing 12 boats.

After Starratt and Jenkins purchased the molds, they were produced first as Charlie Morgan designed them (aft cockpit model) and later as the modified centre cockpit, aft cabin cruiser. I am not partial to this later alteration. The boats were fabricated from the 70’s to early 90’s.

She has a solid glass hull (with the same lay-up schedule as the original Morgan’s) with a plywood-cored deck. Hull-to-deck joints were fastened with stainless bolts. The boat has a patented steel backbone with massive steel arms, which reach up and bolt to the chainplates.

Length 45’8"
LWL 31.5’
Draft 6’ – 1”
Displacement 24,0000 lbs
Ballast 12, ooo lbs - Solid Lead - Internal
Main Sail 20’ foot – 50’ luff
Headroom 6’ +

This boat comes with all the standing rigging complete and sails, rudder, tanks, stanchions etc…..all of which I am not sure the condition or completeness of…..and no interior or engine. Definitely a long-term project :)

The pictures are of a Morgan 45-1. I was sent them from her owner who I corresponded with for information.

Last edited by Triton 185 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rshowarth

Long Term Project

Post by rshowarth »

Definitely a long-term project :)
Great, hopefully that means we can expect lots of pictures of various aspects of your project.

Congratulations on a beautiful purchase.
Read

Catalina 27
O'Day Rhodes 19 Custodian
Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

Congratulations! That is certainly a pretty boat, well worth your efforts.

Pictures!
Fuji 32 Ketch "Excalibur"
Tim

Post by Tim »

Congratuations! That's a good-looking boat with lots of potential, as shown by the photos of the similar one you've posted.

Now, do I really need to ask for pictures? I'm asking anway.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Congratulations! She is pretty, or at least will be in the future. Have fun with the restoration. They're really shy here about asking, but I know people here will have fun too if you "Post Pictures".
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Bluenose
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

Rachel wrote:
Quetzalsailor wrote:You old boat guys might have seen the much smaller classic plastic in the background of the last picture. What is it?
I'm not sure how I feel about being an "old boat guy," but that looks to be a Columbia Sabre.

Rachel
I look at those Columbia Sabre's and just drool as I look from the keel up. But when I get to cabin top I almost hurl. What were they thinking? There could so easily have been a fleet of of 5 metre daysailor's instead. I bet they would have been a hot commodity in todays market.

Bill
Triton 185

Post by Triton 185 »

Hello,

I finally got the boat home to Canada from California. It’s good to have her close to home so I can start to figure out it's current condition and make some plans for future building.

You've asked for pictures.......this is the boat being delivered. I was a bit epic with the mud and the truck getting stuck.
and this one is after I shored her up with 4"x6" wood post, wedges and ply covered with carpet.

More pictures to follow…promise.
Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

That was a nice preview, but I selfishly want to see more of that boat :)

I'm glad to hear the transport went well.
Fuji 32 Ketch "Excalibur"
Triton 185

Post by Triton 185 »

That was a nice preview, but I selfishly want to see more of that boat :)
Thanks Tim...I will be sure to post more pictures in a few weeks. Just so you know, there is not much in the interior except bulkheads - not even a sole.

The company I used for the transport was the "House of Boats" out of Texas. I am very pleased with the service they provided and would not hesitate to use them again.

I am sure I will be asking lot's more questions to this great group in the future on this one.
Triton 185

Post by Triton 185 »

More pictures.

Looking forward.

Water tank.

Looking Aft

Hull thickness (1/2") at deck joint.

rshowarth

Post by rshowarth »

Any updated pictures from the summer projects?
Read

Catalina 27
O'Day Rhodes 19 Custodian
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Now that's interesting.

I'm currently doing some rigging work on a Pearson Vanguard ( Rhodes design) at House of Boats. Also supervising the coordination of the painters, wood work guys and glass guys on the same boat, since I'm much closer than the owner is. I was down there yesterday.

John has a really nice yard
Ceto
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Ceto »

LazyGuy wrote:Quote "I like the phrase "needs finishing work"."

I would prefer the latter. At least, you know what you get into whereas "needs finishing" has as many meanings as there are persons...

I am a big believer and practicioner of the "rip everything out and start from scratch" principle...
Play.

Northstar 500 #67

ceto001.wordpress.com
Ceto
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Ceto »

Triton 185 wrote:After doing some research on this boat, I purchased her. This is what I found out:

This boat was originally designed by Morgan and produced in the Morgan Yacht yard in St. Petersburg FL from 1967-1970 as the 45-1, keel sloop. When the racing rules changed for handicapping ocean racing yachts in the early 70’s, the design became less desirable as a racer and Morgan sold the molds after producing 12 boats.

After Starratt and Jenkins purchased the molds, they were produced first as Charlie Morgan designed them (aft cockpit model) and later as the modified centre cockpit, aft cabin cruiser. I am not partial to this later alteration. The boats were fabricated from the 70’s to early 90’s.

She has a solid glass hull (with the same lay-up schedule as the original Morgan’s) with a plywood-cored deck. Hull-to-deck joints are epoxed and fastened with stainless bolts. The boat has a patented steel backbone with massive steel arms, which reach up and bolt to the chainplates.

Length 45’
LWL 31.5’
Draft 6’ – 1”
Displacement 24,0000 lbs
Ballast 12, ooo lbs - Solid Lead - Internal
Main Sail 20’ foot – 50’ luff
Headroom 6’ +

This boat comes with all the standing rigging complete and sails, rudder, tanks, stanchions etc…..all of which I am not sure the condition or completeness of…..and no interior or engine. Definitely a long-term project :)

Stephen

The pictures are of a Morgan 45-1. I was sent them from her owner who I corresponded with for information.

Where do you sail in Alberta? I just looked at a map and I don't see any large body of water...
Play.

Northstar 500 #67

ceto001.wordpress.com
Triton 185

Post by Triton 185 »

Any updated pictures from the summer projects?

Hi Read....This summer I have been working the boats design. Taking lots of measurements and making some plans. The current project is looking at a new rig.
Triton 185

Post by Triton 185 »

Now that's interesting.

I'm currently doing some rigging work on a Pearson Vanguard ( Rhodes design) at House of Boats. Also supervising the coordination of the painters, wood work guys and glass guys on the same boat, since I'm much closer than the owner is. I was down there yesterday.

John has a really nice yard
Small world. I have never met John in person, but was very happy with his boat transportation service. The Vanguard is one of my favourite boats. If you have any pictures of the boat and yard they would be great to see.
Triton 185

Post by Triton 185 »

LazyGuy wrote:
Quote "I like the phrase "needs finishing work"."

I would prefer the latter. At least, you know what you get into whereas "needs finishing" has as many meanings as there are persons...

I am a big believer and practicioner of the "rip everything out and start from scratch" principle...
It is nice to just starting building with not having to rip anything out. I was originally looking at some older boats to rebuild until this one came along. It is nice to work on a boat that has never been in the water.
Where do you sail in Alberta? I just looked at a map and I don't see any large body of water...
The sailing in Alberta is limited to smaller to medium sized boats. Fortunately, I can fly to Vancouver or Comox (on the West Coast of BC) in about an hour.
Stubrow
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Voidoid V
Boat Type: Judel Vrolijk 33

Morgan 45-1 (first built 1966)

Post by Stubrow »

Here's a (not so great) drawing of it.
http://www.sailboatdata.com/viewrecord. ... ss_ID=3746
Triton 185

Post by Triton 185 »

Here's a (not so great) drawing of it.
Thanks stubrow. I have never seen the link before.
Bluenose
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

What a beautiful boat.

And I have to say how in awe I am of the people on this board who have the skills to handle boats of this size. Just thinking about the 25,000 pounds of displacement and the close to 500 square foot main and jib is daunting for me.

Good Luck, Bill

And is that by chance a working Border Collie in the background?
Triton 185

Post by Triton 185 »

Thanks Bill,

Looks like we have similar tastes in boats. Bolero is sure looking good!
And is that by chance a working Border Collie in the background?
The Border Collie works the sheep on the farm where I have the boat. I enjoy taking breaks while sitting on deck and watching him work.
Triton 185

Post by Triton 185 »

Hello. I need to repaint the hull on my M45 and would like to choose a colour close to the original blue gel coat. Thanks to Bill who pointed out that Bolero was painted with Alexseal Flag Blue by Tim - and she looks stunning. As it turns out, the paint of the M45 I have posted some pictures of in this thread is painted with Awlgrip Flag Blue (not sure of the exact difference in colour?).

So what do you think? Any other suggestions? Thanks!
"The more you know, the less you need."
Yvon Chouinard
Tim

Post by Tim »

Flag blue is a great choice, just about always. Classic and classy.

Note that the flag blue from Awlgrip and Alexseal are for all intents and purposes identical.
Triton 185

Post by Triton 185 »

Thanks Tim. Do you know if these brands are about the same to work with?
"The more you know, the less you need."
Yvon Chouinard
Tim

Post by Tim »

If you can work with one, you can work with the other. Each has its own idiosyncrasies, but both are similarly-formulated paints that are, for the purposes of discussion, interchangeable.