Tartan 34

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
The Good Goose
Skilled Systems Installer

Tartan 34

Post by The Good Goose »

I am toying with the idea of purchasing the tartan 34 on the yacht salvage
website. Anyone have any thoughts on this boat? I have always liked the way they looked very nice lines. What is involved in doing the fiberglass repair? I did the core in my deck so I do have some experience but I have never tackled a significant hull repair. If I go to look at it is there anything I should look for that would preclude an easy repair.

Brock Richardson
The Good Goose

tartan 34

Post by The Good Goose »

Never mind I just received an e-mail that the bidding is closed on this boat.

Brock
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I have eyed that particular boat once or twice myself, but am not in a position to do anything about it. I think that the fiberglass repair looks very manageable from the photos. I like the T/34--nice boat.

If you go look at it, I would suggest that you look at a wide area of the hull, inside and out, for signs that the event that caused the damage in the firsts place (coming down on a piling, it looks like) might have caused other, secondary damage elsewhere. Look for torqued bulkheads, tabbing, and furniture. Look for related deck cracks or other damage that could indicate that the whole boat was badly twisted, or some such. Look beyond the torn fiberglass and try to figure out how far out the damage extends. Answers to these questions will help you determine whether it's a straightforward repair, or if something more in depth is needed.

You could repair that from either the inside or the outside. In either case, you need access to both sides, no matter what. This might involve interior dismantling, etc. The repair is obviously too detailed to go into fully here, but in general, what I would probably try to do is repair it from the inside (doing it from outside would be basically the same, but would probably require more fairing later). Here are the basic steps that I might try:

1. You'll need a mold. It looks like you could easily build a simple mold off the existing hull before you do any demolition of the area. Use somethign like Formica or similar to conform to the hull, and build a basic framework on the back to hold the shape.

2. Once you have a mold, you can cut away the damaged material. Be sure to get it all--it's probably cracked well beyond the borders of the hole. Brace the hull from inside as necessary to hold the shape.

3. Grind away the gelcoat outside around the hole, and from the inside grind a signicant taper from the opening back to solid material. Farther is better, within reason. You want a significant overlap all around onto which to laminate new material.

4. Install and brace the mold. Wax it, or cover it in plastic, or whatever. Laminate the new material from the inside, rolling tightly into the mold, overlapping each layer by, oh, say 2-3". Epoxy, please.

5. Remove the mold when fully cure--a few days. Fair, paint, etc. Done.

Obviously this is a brief description and might have missed some things. But it gets the general idea across. There are probably other ways to go about it. This is likely what I would do, unless the circumstances of the hole are different than it first appears.

The biggest part of this particular job is not the fiberglass work, but everything else--gaining clear access from inside, rebuilding the interior afterwards, etc.

Good luck. Look forward to hearing more.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
The Good Goose

tartan

Post by The Good Goose »

Tim
Thanks for the reply. Looks like you were typing it up when I checked my e-mail and found That the boat was no longer available. sorry for the inconvenience.

Brock