Nantuckett Clipper Mk III in Gloucester, VA

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Scout

Nantuckett Clipper Mk III in Gloucester, VA

Post by Scout »

Does anyone know anything about this boat? Anyone in that area?

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/cgi-bin ... =5592&mh=1
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Hi Scout,

I don't know that boat model (is that the British "Offshore" company?), but if you want me to take a look at it, I could. I'll watch for a PM if you want to discuss details.

Rachel
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

Here's a review - http://oycoa.org.uk/boats/nclip/yyr.htm
There's one for sale on that site, too.

Some old listings (boats were sold, but lots of photos and info)

http://www.boatshed.com/viewboat.php?boat=16315
http://www.boatshed.com/viewboat.php?boat=6016
...a pretty good site:
http://www.tatooshsailor.com/Tatoosh2.html

I was helping a friend look into one that was a project last year.
Osmosis sounds like an issue, the owner said
...pretty badly blistered, took three years to stop weeping...
Nice sort of boat, though, pretty special!
Cape Dory 10 & 27
jollyboat
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by jollyboat »

Scout - you are scaring me - you already have a better yacht (my opinion)
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
Scout

Post by Scout »

I was just asking for someone on another board. I figured if anyone knew any thing about these, it would be someone from this board.

Rachel, thank you, I will let you know if they want to take it any further. That's where you are? I've been down there once, years ago. Pretty part of the world. Thanks again.

On second thought, maybe you can help. The seller is Dave Mixon, the boat is Lady Elaine. It's in the water somewhere in Gloucester, across from Yorktown. He is selling because he has had a knee replacement and is going to have the other one done, so he says. He is selling for about 1/2 of what they seem to go for and is unwilling to send the survey he had a few years ago - says it then becomes 'public knowledge' and he won't have it. Simply says, whatever the survey said to do, he did and more. When the person said they were not going to travel across 7 states without first seeing the survey he basically said tough noogies.

So, since you work in a yard...(I believe)...maybe there is that word of mouth thing?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando

Post by Tim »

SCOUT wrote:He is selling for about 1/2 of what they seem to go for and is unwilling to send the survey he had a few years ago - says it then becomes 'public knowledge' and he won't have it. Simply says, whatever the survey said to do, he did and more. When the person said they were not going to travel across 7 states without first seeing the survey he basically said tough noogies.
Nothing like a helpful seller to really make the boat attractive to prospective buyers.

Funny...people rarely try to hide anything when there's nothing to hide. It's not unusual to keep surveys private, but if this seller is using his survey to back up his claims about the boat's condition and what's been done to the boat over the years, he's making it an issue and therefore ought to offer it up willingly. The fact that he won't is a huge red flag here.

Tell your friend to move on. Some boats (or, more specifically, their sellers) aren't worth pursuing on principle.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
catamount
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

SCOUT wrote:He is selling for about 1/2 of what they seem to go for and is unwilling to send the survey he had a few years ago - says it then becomes 'public knowledge' and he won't have it. Simply says, whatever the survey said to do, he did and more. When the person said they were not going to travel across 7 states without first seeing the survey he basically said tough noogies.
It's funny how people tend to attach so much importance to survey reports; in this case both the buyer and the seller. All a survey report is, is a report of somebody's perspective of the boat and it's condition at the time of the survey. Whether that perspective is any good depends a lot on who the surveyor is, and for whom and for what reason they were doing the survey. While it would be interesting to look at, the old survey really isn't all that valuable to the prospective buyer. Besides the fact that it is dated and will not necessarily reflect the current condition of the boat, it also wasn't necessarily prepared with his or her interests in mind. He or she will want to have their own survey performed for them by a surveyor of their choice. If the prospective buyer wants more information about the boat before travelling to see it themselves, they could hire a local surveyor of their own to do a preliminary inspection for them.

BTW, I don't mean to be defending the seller. Presumably he's trying to hide some un-favorable reports in the old survey, which he thinks will reduce his chances of selling the boat for the price he wants. If that's the case, he should just never have mentioned that the old survey exists in the first place. If you're going to advertise that the boat was "recently surveyed and all recommendations were addressed," then you shouldn't have any problem with releasing the survey and details of the repairs to prospective buyers.
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
jollyboat
Boat Name: Jollyboat

Post by jollyboat »

Agreed - I am always showing off what improvements I have made to my boat. Strange that this person would consider repairs, maintenance and the like to be possible detractions. I would guess not a member of this forum either.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
Scout

Post by Scout »

Update for Rachael: It is located at Crown Pointe Marina in Achilles (Gloucester) Virginia.
The surveyor was Doc Harbor.

I've never had that experience with someone and their survey. All the communication has been via email so lots could be lost in terms of the 'tone' etc. You know how that goes. I think they are still interested in pursuing because of the price vs. others of the same.

R, do you know this surveyor? Good one?
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Hi Scout,

That owner's name sounds slightly familiar, but let me ask around. (I've only been in the area less than a year.)

I know where Crown Pointe marina is. It used to be Cook's Landing Marina, which is a perfectly good name, and convenient, because it's on Cook's Landing Road. But I guess that wasn't sophisticated enough. That extra final vowel gives it the foreign panache that I'm sure lures Europeans in droves (har). They must have a Ship's Shoppe.

I could certainly stop down there to look at the boat if it gets to that point. And I'll let you know what I find out in my inquiries.

As time goes on I find myself less and less inclined to deal with uncooperative sellers (if this is one; as you say tone can sometimes be lost in e-mail), although sometimes if they have what you want it's tempting.

Rachel