Update: Alberg Corinthian

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
sal's dad
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Update: Alberg Corinthian

Post by sal's dad »

The other day I put a deposit on an old Corinthian sailboat I saw in a tiny boatyard. Not in great shape, but a classic hull, and reportedly with complete sails and rigging. Unfortunately there was a lot of water in the hull; I asked the yard to drill a hole in the keel.

I have to move it before they start hauling boats in the fall, or it will get cut up with a chainsaw.

I don't really need another project, but this is a lovely boat - the little sister of the Ensign, I believe. Any advice or suggestions?

Sal's Dad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Designer: Carl A. Alberg
Builder: Bristol Sailstar Boats
L-O-A: 19' 6.5"
L-W-L: 14' 6"
Beam: 6' 6"
Draft: 2' 9"
Ballast: (encapsulated lead) 1,100 pounds
Displacement: 2,724 pounds
Sail Area: 186 sq. ft.

[/img]
Last edited by sal's dad on Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sal's dad
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by sal's dad »

A pretty Corinthian:

Image[/img]
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

If the price is right, and you have room and inclination to store/work on it, then what have you got to lose?

The nice thing about small, simple boats like that is that you can get them back into sailing condition with a minimal investment, since you need not worry about complicated systems and gear.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bhartley
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel Pyxis
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 Cape Dory 25D

Congrats

Post by bhartley »

You'll love the Corinthian. I rebuilt a derelict Typhoon last winter and it is very similar. If you have a place to work, it should be a very doable project. I had the luxury of working in my front yard under a shelter (and Georgia temperatures in winter).

Don't worry about the water (the hole is a good idea...). They're entirely plastic with nothing to get seriously damaged.

If you're looking for a shelter, I would recommend the 10x20 King Canopy from Sam's Club for $199.00. The Ty had to go corner to corner, but it worked out nicely and was a good price. The model the sell includes sides with windows and zippered ends. I hung a 4' flourescent in the peak of the roof.

Take lots of pictures...

Bly
sal's dad
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by sal's dad »

Thanks for the support!

I have to build/rebuild a cradle, and haul it from Long Island NY, probably to Maine (I have a flatbed trailer that should just do it). I'd anticipate doing the minimum to get her sailing next year, and put her on a mooring, maybe with a sign offering to lend her out to neighbors. Any thoughts on a too-shallow mooring, on a mud bottom?

Previous "improvements" included several details that were NOT of good quality - some repairs were done with "drywall toggle bolts" now rusted almost beyond recognition. So I assume that sooner or later the interior will need to be torn out - again - and that everything else not factory original is suspect.

In the meantime, I have paid $100 of the $200 purchase price (less than the yard owner would net for scrap!) and will consider any offers.

Sal's Dad
sal's dad
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by sal's dad »

Picked up the Corinthian a couple weeks ago. Regrettably, I put off the trip too long. I had seen the boat when visiting an elderly realative on Long Island last summer, and planned to pick it up on a later visit. I never imagined that my next visit would be in mourning. I returned from the funeral, hauling the boat.

I rented a UHaul car carrier ($120 one way) and bought $100 of treated lumber for a permanent cradle, and went to work. An extra $60 to take the trailer on the ferry, and some unkown amount of gas. The hardest part was getting the cradle to roll/slide off the trailer onto the right spot in the driveway!

Got a blue tarp over it before this week's snows, and ran an electric "pipe heater" wire up through the hole in the keel through the bilge area, just in case things freeze up.

The sails (MJG) are in need of some TLC. Any suggestions for quick and dirty repair/reinforcement?
I also have a few concerns about hull integrity - will try to get some photos soon.

Sal's Dad
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I'm sorry to hear about the reason for the trip, but also want to say "Congrats!" on getting her home, and thank-you for updating the thread.

We beg for photos!

Side note: I've heard of many fires being started by that pipe-heating tape, so I'd be a bit leery of it. I'm not sure exactly what you're heating, but another possible route (if, say, it's a bit of water in the bilge) is to pour in some non-toxic anti-freeze (such as used in boats and RVs).

Rachel
sal's dad
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by sal's dad »

The heater is "just-in-case". With the hole in the keel, I don't expect to collect much water, but it's not unusual for that kind of drain hole to freeze up solid. If it does, I can just plug the wire in for a few hours to clear it up.

While I am thinking about it, any suggestions for a removable plug for the bottom of a keel? An epoxy/glass threaded hole, molded in place around a bronze plug? I plan to seal up all the other thru-hulls. ( anybody want to buy a ca. 1965 head? ;-)
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I would recommend this one:

You can find this plug here:

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,2236.htm

I don't know of any others that still have a bronze plug. Some call themselves "bronze" drains but sneak in a brass plug.

If you search "garboard drain" or "garboard plug" here on the forum, you'll probably find a couple of other threads that include information on them. We've discussed them a few times in the past.

Rachel
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Rachel wrote:I would recommend this one:

You can find this plug here:

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,2236.htm

I don't know of any others that still have a bronze plug. Some call themselves "bronze" drains but sneak in a brass plug.
This is the only real drain fitting to consider. $45 and worth every cent.

I'm tempted to buy a stock and hoard them just in case these too suddenly cheese out and go China Brass.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Tim wrote:I'm tempted to buy a stock and hoard them just in case these too suddenly cheese out and go China Brass.
That's what I was considering. Maybe we need a Plastic Classic hoarding pool. Or like one of those "we're-not-quite-ready-to-really-trust-in-the-format" kind of potluck dinners where they actually assign a category of dish to each person's last-name letter.