Any advice on the Oday Mariner?

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Any advice on the Oday Mariner?

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Hey guys.

I am looking at this mariner. At least I think it is a mariner...it is described as a 19 oday. Seems to be the humpbacked version??? I know the hull on the mariner is a rhodes design, and Oday made thousands of these things...but I haven't seen one with the hump on the cabin top. The cruising version maybe??

Just to complement my alberg 35 and have something a little more responsive to teach the 14, 9, and 7 year old how to sail on.

I really would like a glass thistle or a 470 something sportier, but they might be a bit intimidating.

Maybe a Finn...come on it is just a little cat boat

Other pics at

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

What do you think for $1000.00

New Mast, needs paint and a rubrail, older functional sails.
Last edited by Ric in Richmond on Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

"come on it's just a little cat boat"

I know you were joking, but yeah a little catboat (beetle or knockoff) would be a better teacher. The Mariner seems like too much boat for the job. In the O'Day catalog, I wouldn't go any bigger than a Javelin.
Nothing teaches like a dinghy.

Still, for $1000 it's hard to go wrong.
Ric in Richmond

Yeah I am with you on the dinghy idea. It is tough really teaching them the nuances of the game with 35 foot alberg!!!

I was kidding about the Finn!!

Right now we are using a Walker Bay 8 and the basic sail kit.

It has no rudder feel (like power steering on a buick) and the board is so narrow it stalls really easy. I can make it go, but it is a tough boat to go upwind with.

Plus I can only take one kid at a time and I want them to sail a sloop and maybe even something with some spinnaker potential....a trap would be fun too!!!

I grew up on 420's, snipes, lightnings, etc.

If I was going to go all the way to 19 foot I have to think an old lightning might be better.

There is a Flying Scott up the road from me that hasn't been uncovered in over 5 years as far as I can tell.

Back to craigslist and Ebay.
Ric Bergstrom

Archived old blog:

Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

To me, a Mariner is still very much a dinghy, but that said I agree that small and simple is the best way to learn the basics.

For the sort of thing you're looking to accomplish, any small boat will work, and often the "bird in the hand" outlook will dictate how and which one you buy.

Something a bit smaller might be better in some ways, but I don't think there's any handicap from learning in a 19-footer, if that's the boat you happen to find that's ready to go at the same time that you're ready to buy. Otherwise, the summer could vanish (already is) before finding the "perfect" dinghy.

One of the racing dinghies you mentioned would ultimately be more fun and satisfying, but I see those as more of a "step two" in the learning process. Learn/teach the basics of sail and boat handling in a forgiving and simple boat, and then move into the more performance-oriented dinghies, if so inclined.

For small kids, I think it's tough to beat an Optimist, since they get to sail their own boat. But these aren't boats for a crowd!

I'm sure the Walker Bay leaves something to be desired.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Tim wrote:..... the boat you happen to find that's ready to go at the same time that you're ready to buy. Otherwise, the summer could vanish (already is) before finding the "perfect" dinghy.
Excellent point.
rshowarth
Skilled Systems Installer

Mariner

Post by rshowarth »

Ric-

I own a Mariner and race it at Riverton Yacht Club on the Delaware River just north of Philadelphia.

I recommend the Mariner for your purposes, sailing with your grandchildren. It is a stable boat, and relatively simple. I purchased a Lightning a few years ago to introduce my children to sailing. At the time they were 8, 10 and 13. The Lightning is a great boat, but I scared them a little with it's responsiveness and with my inexperience in the boat and with the gusting winds of the Delaware.

I moved to the Mariner last year and I have gotten them back in the boat and racing with me now at ages 11, 13 and 16. For 1,000 dollars you cannot go wrong.

The boat in the pictures is the earlier version, which is why it has the "hump" as you describe it. It was manufactured prior to 1969. The positives are: some say they are faster; they have more freeboard behind your back and are more comfortable as a result.

The only possible negatives I see are:

1. That it has wooden stringers under the mahogany floorboards. Sometimes/eventually they rot out and must be replaced. I have been replacing the stringers in a Rhodes 19 and can give you the benefit of my experience if needed.

2. It is not self-bailing, as are the newer versions. I doubt this will bother you, as you undoubtedly would not take your grandchildren out in weather that might be a danger.

By all means, send them to sail camp to learn on Optis or other training dinghies. But, buy the Mariner for you to go out with them on day sails.

Obviously I am prejudiced,

Send a PM if you want more information or have extensive questions. I can help with rigging, and all manner of other questions about this boat.

If you do not buy it, let me know the contact information for the owner and I will post it's availability on the www.usmariner.org web site.

Regards,
Read

Catalina 27
O'Day Rhodes 19 Custodian
bhartley
Boat Name: Ariel Pyxis
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 Cape Dory 25D

Good choice in my book.

Post by bhartley »

An O'Day Daysailor or Mariner is a good choice for that age range and size of crew. Everyone has something to do. It's big enough to look and feel like a "real" boat and sails a lot like the Alberg.

I spent many years teaching 8-16 year olds in Cape Cod Mercuries (15') which have the same basic characteristics. They also teach a healthy respect for the wind as they can and do capsize.

They also have a pretty balanced helm which is nice for the younger members of the crew. Beetles and other gaff rigged cat boats are great, but the weather helm and larger sail area can be intimidating when you're little if your goal is to "take the boat out by yourself".

You're on the right track getting them to sail their "own" boat though. My stepchildren (now adults) grew up sailing on their parents 30' boat, but none really know how to sail.

Bly
Summersdawn

Post by Summersdawn »

In a few years, when they are "experts" at sailing the Mariner, they can follow your Alberg on short holidays. They will love that.

I grew up powerboating, and when my parents got a large enough outboard for our Zodiac to get it to plane, we always followed my parents in the dinghy. We loved it.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
Arcadia
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Arcadia »

I also second the idea of a boat for the kids to learn on.

We cruised for a year while our two kids were five and ten. They developed great 'boat sense' living aboard, and while the older one was really a big help, especially anchoring (we have an electric windlass), and in running errands in the in the inflatable(what 10 year old kid doesn't like buzzing around in an inflatable), they really didn't learn to sail that much. Some of that comes from using the boat as both a home and as a means of transportation, as opposed to sailing as a recreational pastime, and as long as I was around, they preferred to play or fish or what ever..

When we returned, we found an old 19' Bristol Corinthian (Alberg design)for them to learn on. While not as responsive as a small dinghy, it has the advantage of handling in a similar manner to our big boat, a Luders 33. They have followed us around on weekend trips and the like. Having their independence and their own boat to learn on gave them a chance to enjoy sailing as recreation instead of a necessity, and without their father hanging around correcting things. The only problem now is my older son , now 18, keeps taking the L-33 out!

Unfortunately, this year the boat is not going in so I can finish painting and refitting, but it did give me the chance to find that they both really do enjoy being on the boat. They were disappointed at not having the big boat available. (Of course, that means disappointed at being unable to take more of their friends out...)
Ric in Richmond

I am going to go look at it this weekend if I can get it scheduled.

And these are for my KIDS to learn to sail. Don't make me any older than I already feel!!!!

I can't do the opti thing since I want to teach them to sail. (it's the old Annapolis Sailing School instructor coming out in me)

I love the idea of the kids on their own boat on a cruise. How fun. Them rafting up with you and having your own fleet!!!
Ric Bergstrom

Archived old blog:

Ric in Richmond

I'm not getting that mariner. Just something not right for me about it.

I want something more high-performance. I already have a classic heavy boat!!!

It is on Craiglist in Richmond VA.

Ric
Ric Bergstrom

Archived old blog:

jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by jhenson »

Ric,

I recently got an AMF puffer for my boys for the exact same reasons you stated. I bet you ?d want something bigger for 3 kids, but there is one on the Baltimore Craigs List.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/ ... 61553.html

I didn?t pay nearly that much, but this one might be in better condition. I also owned an Oday Daysailor II at one time, and enjoyed it very much.

Joe
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

I've got a Puffer sitting in my driveway right now waiting for a little repair work over the winter before we use it for teaching Gavin to sail. Does yours have a trailer?
jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by jhenson »

Nathan,

I don't yet have a trailer for it. The boat came from some personal friends of ours who used the original trailer also for their jon boat. They kept the trailer for their other boat though they allow us the use of it. The situation is less than ideal. I have transported it on the back of my pickup in a pinch. I am searching for a used one of the same size. One has to be quick around here when they pop up on Craigs List or other classifieds as that size trailer appears to always be in demand. I have been out flying, it seems, each time.

Joe