Invicta on Ebay (Rachael)

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Scout

Invicta on Ebay (Rachael)

Post by Scout »

Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Well, the interior would be a nice step up from my current condition!

I think there's also an Invicta II on yachtworld at the moment.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Not to sound unfaithful to my Alberg 30, but if that boat were in the Chesapeake, my e-Bay trigger finger would poised above the mouse. Probably a good thing it's in Florida. Of course I'm still watching the auction closely, and folks at the yard are "helpfully" saying what a great boat the Invicta is (like I need encouragement).

It's probably a tad large for me, but it's one of my ultimate "big" boats.

Could you find me one nearer the Chesapeake and/or in slightly better shape, please? (and it has to be a bubble-top):D

Rachel
Scout

Post by Scout »

I'll keep an eye open Rachael, but remember, there were onlly 21 of them made. I now of about 8 of them still out there.
Tim Mertinooke
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

My introduction to the Invicta was in Saugatuck Michigan a couple year's back. My wife and I were walking the docks and I noticed a beauty across the way. This boat was in great shape, probably one of the best examples out there. It is used as a chartering vessel. Here is their home page:

http://www.sweetwatersailing.com/

Beauty!
Fuji 32 Ketch "Excalibur"
navigator
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by navigator »

I spoke to this guy a few times when we first got Scout. I believe he still does charter. He was to a point where he would charter in the summer and transport his boat down south for winter cruising. Not a bad life. I also ran into another Ivicta owner who did some buddy boating with him and sent a picture or two... (Mort had a yawl and removed his mizzen - boo hoo)

[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/ ... owe3-1.jpg[/img][/img]

I know I had a pictue of the two of their Invicta's rafted up but I can't seem to find it. I have just noticed for the first time that the stern hatches in one picture are different than the other.
Jfwtc
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Post by Jfwtc »

Well for better or worse Topaz Invicta hull #14 has been purchased. It is being towed to a yard tomorrow, Masts unstepped and prepaired for shipping next week.

When she arrives here I will clean, strip and tent her with tarp and frame so sun can dry her all summer. This fall we will move her in the barn.

As I have just passed the half way point "two years" on my Bounty II yawl "Sea Yawl" Topaz will have lots of time for drying. I will try to identify wet deckcore areas and get them opened before freezing temps this year. Real work will begn next year.

Scout, would you take some pictures of your pushpit for me? I would like to get that ordered this year.

Most of the damage to this boat has been from hurricans. She has been at Dinner Key for 16 years and servived Andrew and many others.

PS: Anyone with suggestions of a hauler? The quote I got from the guy I have used for years is up 2K from when he brought SeaYawl two years ago! Miami to Schenectady N.Y.
Wayne
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Congratulations!

I am sure I speak for others when I say, "pictures, please"...any and all pictures, if you are able, would be great once she arrives in your neck of the woods. Trucking pictures are always fun, too.

2K is a lot to go up in a couple years, but with the price of fuel and other factors, a healthy increase seems justified, if not necessarily agreeable. It's a bitter pill to swallow, though. Ouch.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Scout

Post by Scout »

WOW, that's very exciting! Congratulations. A pushpit you say?....

[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/ ... y16002.jpg[/img][/img]

Best of luck with her. We really look forward to you sharing your progress.

Nanette
Jfwtc

Post by Jfwtc »

Nanette,

Thank you so much! I will send pictures when she arrives.

Right now trying to get her out of Miami before storm season. As said above real work will begin next year (retirement year). This year will be to develop a list of all required work for restoration. Keeping my Bounty II project moving is the priority.
Wayne
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

So, I'm curious as to your plans for both a Bounty II and an Invicta!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Indeed, I can't help but admire your appetite!
Jfwtc

Post by Jfwtc »

Tim,
You probably don?t remember, but you and I e-mailed a few times when I purchased the Bounty II. The story goes that in the sixties I was building Rhodes 27s at Lund boat works in Erie Pa. A customer we did lots of work for arrived with a new Bounty II. It was the first large fiberglass sailboat I had ever seen. I sailed with them that summer and 40 years later found the boat and bought it ?Sea Yawl?. When finished it will be on a mooring at Ocean Point East Boothbay my family?s home.

Because I have a large shop ?barn? in Schenectady and spend all my free time in my shop and will be retired next year I wanted a continuing project ( Invicta).
Wayne
Scout

Post by Scout »

Wayne, have you ever put up any pictures of your Bounty? Would love to see that too!