Any good ideas for filling some bulkhead holes <not epoxy

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Scout

Any good ideas for filling some bulkhead holes <not epoxy

Post by Scout »

We have removed two instruments, from both bulkheads in the the cockpit of Scout and are hard pressed to come up with some good ideas as to what to put there instead.

We took out a depth sounder and a wind indicator. New stand alone depth sounders are teeny (our empty holes are 4 1/8" rounds) and we don't need no stinkin' wind indicators (working or otherwise).

So, we are thinking for one of the holes a compass, this will be redundant as there is one in the pedestal but that's ok. Would love some creative ideas for the other, if there are any out there..

Also, has anyone heard of a bulkhead mounted compass viewable from both sides of the bulkhead? If not, I should probably invent one....my cursury googling has brought results so far.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

If the holes are where you can look out form inside, how about a round porthole? Always nice to be able to see outside even in a rain.
Chris Campbell
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

Plastimo makes a bulkhead compass that can be read from inside the cabin, the "Contest 101". There may be others, of course, but here is at least one: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... 1&id=82511

Cheers,

Chris
jpmathieu
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Twize
Boat Type: Pearson Renegade

Post by jpmathieu »

I filled an ex-windspeed instrument hole with a waterproof low magnetic stereo speaker.
JP
Renegade #153 TWIZE

It never ends!
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I have the Plastimo Contest 101. The aesthetics of the cabin-side mounting plate leave a bit to be desired, but I must say that it is pretty cool to have the daylight refract through the compass globe into the cabin.

The portlight and speaker ideas are appealing as well.

Of course my personal solution to the problem is quite predictable.... Drink holder!!!
Scout

Post by Scout »

Well I've spent a fair amount of time talking to the Plastimo (Navimo) people. No one seems to be able to tell me what the cut out dimesions are. Figment, can you clue me in. I've seen the PDF and not happy with the fact that it is not a perfect round (more cutting). Still want to do it but need more facts. Is the cutout 4.88"? How absurd is it to say to a customer if you buy the compass, you will get a template, don't print it off our website, it's not accurate and oh yeah its in millimeters.

Sssshhhhh on the speaker thing. The last thing I want is a speaker in my ear (shoulder actually, but close enough). This is an ongoing battle, which so far I've won.

Port light is a good idea, drink holder? aka shin buster?
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

As a side note, yards I've worked in sometimes use some kind of dark smoked plastic or black starboard (1/8" thick or so) and make a bezel that covers a larger or wrong-shaped hole and then either leave it or mount a new instrument in it.

Rachel

I like those view-from-both-sides compasses too, and although they are available I had a similar experience with them being hard to find the first time I looked for one.
Duncan
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

I have just the thing for you. It's a plastic trout a well-meaning nephew gave me.
If you poke it, it wiggles, and sings "Take me to the river, lead me to the water..."
Your choice whether you want the head or tail sticking out, and vice-versa.

No? Hey, it's a "conversation piece". (I never had the heart to throw it out, it's "good as new", and I'll think of something someday).

A guy I know has his engine instruments mounted on the bulkhead, in a nice teak enclosure. Makes sense compared to the ones you hardly ever look at because they are mounted down around your ankles?
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Scout

Post by Scout »

Dunc, good idea (about the engine panel) but last year someone bent the key while in position. I think the odds of it happening again increase drasticly with it on the bulkhead.

The tune your trout sings is often sung as Scout it kept in a 'river', as you know but, please don't give it to us?

Keep em coming, one hole to go...
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Well, in keeping with my prior post, one off-the-wall and one maybe practical.
If you know any artisans, wee stained glass ports could either look very cool, or really awful.
A sailboat on one side and a lighthouse on the other? Have one with plenty of red in it, and the other greenish? ;

What about a weatherproof barometer - that's a neglected instrument, and could be quite handy to have in a prominent place?

I will refrain from suggesting flashing LED panels, "mood lights", or port and starboard placards.

HEY - what about cubby-holes? Build boxes in behind, there's always something that needs stowing. Or you could put standard access plates over the holes, and then figure out what you wanted to do later.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
cantstopnow
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Ariadne
Boat Type: Morgan M34

Post by cantstopnow »

How about a small neon sign?

nyuk nyuk
Today is a great day to Go Sailing
1966 Morgan M34 K/CB
1965 Pearson Commander
1977 kells 28
1973 Paceship PY23
1971 Compac CP 16
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

I often make escutcheon plates for mounting small meters, instruments or whatever. It can be made out of wood, bronze, stainless, King Starboard, polycarbonate or anything. It covers the old hole and contains the new smaller one. I sometimes make them individually, sometimes larger ones to contain all the new stuff and cover a couple holes.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Figment

Post by Figment »

SCOUT wrote:Is the cutout 4.88"? How absurd is it to say to a customer if you buy the compass, you will get a template, don't print it off our website, it's not accurate and oh yeah its in millimeters.
I took some pics for you, but now I can't get them to download. Not my week.

Off the top of my head, I'd say that 4.8" could be the cutout. the overall diameter of the escutcheon and all is probably a touch over 5", plus the little keyhole bit that extends from the bottom. Overall height including this piece is roughly 6".

This compass was one of the very first things I did to the boat, so my memory of the installation isn't crystal clear, but I really don't remember that it was difficult at all. Stick the template to the wall, thirty seconds with the jigsaw, maybe two minutes with a rat-tail file to clean it up, peel away the template, etc.

(typical for me) I spent 5x longer obsessing over the precise location of the unit than I did actually installing it. You have no such dilemma.
Mark.Wilme

Post by Mark.Wilme »

Duncan wrote:I have just the thing for you. It's a plastic trout a well-meaning nephew gave me.
If you poke it, it wiggles, and sings "Take me to the river, lead me to the water..."
I have one of these too, you can have it for the price of shipping, really, I do ..
Mark.
S/V Calypso. 2001 Beneteau Oceanis 381
Not quite a plastic classic yet
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I'm not sure just how "low" a low-magnetic speaker is, but given that the second hole you wish to fill is adjacent to a new compass that you plan to install, I don't think any speaker is a good idea here.

There's always the "slap a piece of wood over the hole" technique--not my suggestion, by the way, but it covers the hole and moves you forward if none of the other ideas work for your situation.

The Big Mouth Billy Bass would be a classy addition, though.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
jpmathieu

Post by jpmathieu »

Sssshhhhh on the speaker thing. The last thing I want is a speaker in my ear (shoulder actually, but close enough). This is an ongoing battle, which so far I've won.
I love listening to music when I'm sailing, as well as not listening to music while I'm sailing. The loaction for the speaker works well for me, as the speaker is facing me while sailing.
I'm not sure just how "low" a low-magnetic speaker is, but given that the second hole you wish to fill is adjacent to a new compass that you plan to install, I don't think any speaker is a good idea here.
I researched the speakers before I purchased. Then more importantly I checked the speakers effect on the compass before installing. My compass was far enough away that it was not effected by the speaker.

Sort of measure twice cut once thing.
JP
Renegade #153 TWIZE

It never ends!
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Mark.Wilme wrote:
Duncan wrote:I have just the thing for you. It's a plastic trout a well-meaning nephew gave me.
I have one of these too, you can have it for the price of shipping, really, I do ..
We have a solution! Two holes, two fish. One facing in, one facing out. Problem solved.

Could be distracting, though - Tina Turner's version includes:
Wash me, wet me
Squeeze me, and tease me
Sorry, it must be spring, I guess.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Duncan wrote:...it must be spring, I guess.
The calendar says so, but the climate is not paying attention!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Scout

Post by Scout »

Clarification: The 'two holes' are one on each side of the companionway. The starboard side for the compass would be best as that is where the 1/2 fannyed nav station is, BUT, we also have radar to install on that side down below on a swing out bracket (yet to be found) for use in the cockpit as well. That requires 1.5 feet clearance from any compass as I recall. I guess this all means that the compass might have to go on the port (galley) side. I see myself multi-tasking with elan!

Figment, would love to see your pictures, thank you, will PM you my email address. Did you choose the red card or the yellow? I'm thinking the yellow might offer best contrast?

No thanks, again on the fish, but hey, keep looking there must be something out there that would work. We would love a depth sounder. We are not sure if it is our box that is lacking or the wire. Dealing with that transducer causes wrinkles on Brian's forehead. It worked fairly well the first season, the second season it went senile. The lead line is our preferred method anyway but that's tough under way.

As for the speakers, I guess I am an old lady when it comes to this. I love music and I also love the silence but I hate speakers at ear level. Even at home, I prefer them in a corner where the wall meets the ceiling. In the cockpit, I think the best place might be in the aft corners at the ankle? Has anybody done this? Otherwise, down below on the foremost bulkheads, facing aft?

Thanks for all the input!

Nanette
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Just a note on adding speakers to the "well" part of the cockpit, and that is that unless you install them behind screw-in inspection plates (or the like), there is only a thin piece of paper (or Mylar) to keep water out of a 5" hole in the boat.

R.
jpmathieu

Post by jpmathieu »

Scout wrote:
In the cockpit, I think the best place might be in the aft corners at the ankle? Has anybody done this?
This is the spot I put my second speaker. rear of the cockpit as high as i could get it. It's on the centerline. Again no problem with the compass.

Rachel wrote:
Just a note on adding speakers to the "well" part of the cockpit, and that is that unless you install them behind screw-in inspection plates (or the like), there is only a thin piece of paper (or Mylar) to keep water out of a 5" hole in the boat.
This is actually on the to do list. I,ve been working out the installation. I currently have a inspection port in the hole now and need to install the new speaker. (this is the second time I owned the boat, the PO took my first speaker out and put a piece of plywood over the hole.)
JP
Renegade #153 TWIZE

It never ends!
Scout

Post by Scout »

This issue is still an issue. At this point a porthole seems to be the only thing to do. The hole has got to be covered!

We've determined that the compass will go on the starboard side (I got the yellow card Figment), as well as the radar, we will just make the distance between the two work. Has anyone ever come across a - how do I phrase this - a sort of telescopic/extendo/stretchy/come here - go away/in and out swing bracket?
Figment

Post by Figment »

For what? the radar?

(anyone else hear the Inspector Gadget theme in the background?)

As a temporary solution, I just mounted my instruments on a hunk of star-board that swings in and out of the companionway on a knuckle-jointed speaker mount bracket I picked up at Radio Shack. I admit that my expectations were low, but this little gadget far exceeded them.
catamount
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

My dad mounted his instruments (Loran, GPS) to an extra companionway hatch board, which you can see in the pic below. Makes for an extra step to get in and out of the cabin, but also makes it possible to stow the instruments below when not in use.

and here's the backside:

This might not work for a larger screen such as a chartplotter or radar, though. On my dad's boat, the radar's CRT screen is below at the nav table, but viewable from the cockpit (especially at night), depending on where you're sitting.
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation