Headroom in Frisco Flyer?

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
keelbolts
Skilled Systems Installer

Headroom in Frisco Flyer?

Post by keelbolts »

How much headroom is there in a later doghouse model Frisco Flyer? Falcon, are you out there? Thanks.
Jeff
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

Standing head room - around 5'10"ish. I almost bought one a while back...
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

MikeD wrote:Standing head room - around 5'10"ish
"Standing Headroom" reminds me of one of my Dad's favorite questions "How long is a piece of string?"

Some of us could stand in 5' 10" headroom ... on our knees ;-)
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Duncan
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

Paceship used to advertise " 5'10" under closed hatch", and also show this picture:

The sliding hatch runs on rails on top of the cabin roof, and has a 2" depth. There is one exact spot, where if I put my feet either side of the centreboard trunk under the closed slider, I can almost stand up straight.

It's a very awkward position, and I have no idea why anyone would want to stand there anyway. The rest of it is more like 5' 6", i.e. "if you want to stand up, go on deck".

I figure the lady in the photo weighs around 80 lbs and is about 4'10" tall. She's the right size, but she wouldn't be allowed on board with those shoes on.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
keelbolts

Post by keelbolts »

So what's the headroom on a Triton?
kabauze
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Nevermind
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #450

Post by kabauze »

keelbolts wrote:So what's the headroom on a Triton?
It's 6'2" or 6'3" in the main cabin - quite high, actually. That was one of the big plusses of the Triton for me, since I'm 6'4". The only other small sailboat I know of that has that kind of headroom is the Pacific Seacraft Dana 24, which goes (used) for around 90K around here.

Of course, once you go forward into the head or v-berth in the Triton, you are stooping - it's low in there!
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

A touch under 6'.

If you're 5-10", you're OK. If you're 6', you're not.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Peter

Post by Peter »

I had a Lancer 25 for a very short while. They had quite a bit of headroom because the companionway floor was half way down the bilge. It made for a rather narrow walkway that stepped up half way through the main cabin. You could sit on the setee and dangle your feet in mid air!

Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

Case

Post by Case »

Did the Lancer 25 sail well? Just curious whether it sailed well or not with that type of keel.

One positive thing I can see with this type of layout... You can see right away when you're taking on water! No need to have to check the bilges or be surprised by a floating sole hatch.

- Casey
Peter

Post by Peter »

Casey wrote:Did the Lancer 25 sail well?
I bought her after I sold my Montgomery 17. We'd looked at so many boats, that when my wife said "I love the interior in the Lancer" I bought it.

Unfortunately she was a little under ballasted for Juan de Fuca Strait weather and was quite tender. She'd be a great inland waters boat, and could sail nicely under main alone, like a big dinghy, when one was in no rush

Casey wrote:One positive thing I can see with this type of layout... You can see right away when you're taking on water!
There actually was a bilge in the unballasted part of the keel at the aft end (false keel) The lid was glued shut, and when I pried it open I found it was full of lead wheel weights, added by a PO for extra ballast. Luckily the bilge was dry, and the steel tabs on the weights had not rusted too badly.
When I cleaned the whole mess out she didn't sail any differently.

I put her in the Buy and Sell paper one spring, expecting to have her for at least a couple of months of summer sailing, but she sold in the first week!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

Tim

Post by Tim »

I happened to be standing in a Triton with a tape measure close at hand, so I measured the headroom at approximately the highest spot. 5'-11" on this boat.

It looks like we may have located yet another inconsistency in Tritons, with Todd's post above indicating over 6' headroom in his Aeromarine Triton. I've never been aboard a West Coast Triton, but all the East Coast versions I've been on seem to be closer to the 5'-11" that I measured on #158.
kabauze

Post by kabauze »

Tim wrote:
It looks like we may have located yet another inconsistency in Tritons, with Todd's post above indicating over 6' headroom in his Aeromarine Triton. I've never been aboard a West Coast Triton, but all the East Coast versions I've been on seem to be closer to the 5'-11" that I measured on #158.
Tim -

Or maybe I'm dreaming! Next time I'm at the boat I'll measure. On my WC boat the center section of the cabin roof under the sliding hatch is higher than the rest of the salon roof by a couple of inches, as seen over my head here:
Do East Coast boats have the same raised roof? We know the deck molds and sliding hatch details were very different between coasts, so perhaps this accounts for the discrepancy.

Todd
Tim

Post by Tim »

kabauze wrote:
Tim wrote:
Tim -

Or maybe I'm dreaming! Next time I'm at the boat I'll measure. On my WC boat the center section of the cabin roof under the sliding hatch is higher than the rest of the salon roof by a couple of inches, as seen over my head here:
Do East Coast boats have the same raised roof? We know the deck molds and sliding hatch details were very different between coasts, so perhaps this accounts for the discrepancy.

Todd
No, the East Coast boats do NOT have that raised area as shown in your picture. That's certainly enough to give you another couple inches.

This is the first time I've seen or heard of this particular West Coast feature. One never stops learning! How interesting.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

WOW!!! That is fantastic. Except that it's evil. It's giving me all sorts of very destructive and time-consuming ideas.

What's that look like from the exterior?

I think there is probably some variation in the headroom on EC boats due to variation in the installation of the cabin sole, but they're probably mostly in the 5'-11 to 6'-0" range. I think mine is about 5'-11 3/4". Barefoot, I can stand (with slack posture) upright, and the overhead messes up my hair. With deck shoes, my head hits the overhead.

Do later tritons with the cabin liner have significantly reduced headroom, or do they only lose 3/8" or so?

(yes, I feel bad that we've Triton-hijacked the Frisco Flyer thread)
Tim

Post by Tim »

Figment wrote:(yes, I feel bad that we've Triton-hijacked the Frisco Flyer thread)
Hardly, since the question about Triton headroom was specifically asked above.
Jason K
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

Tim wrote:
A touch under 6'.

If you're 5-10", you're OK. If you're 6', you're not.
I'm 6'3" and I can stand in the main cabin of Triton #218 quite easily with just a little slouch. It is easily 6'.

However, when I was aboard 594 (the storm damaged Triton drifting in my marina), I had to hunch over more; I would guesstimate the headroom at about 5'10". Interesting, the "doorway" between the salon and the head/hanging locker was narrower and the salon cushions I tried to salvage were several inches too short when I put them in my boat.

- That molded headliner in kabauze's photo looks so much nicer than the unfinished glass in the earlier Tritons.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
kabauze

Post by kabauze »

Figment wrote:WOW!!! That is fantastic. Except that it's evil. It's giving me all sorts of very destructive and time-consuming ideas.

What's that look like from the exterior?
Oh, it's evil all right!

On my boat, the exterior is covered by a massive seahood salvaged from the Bismarck:
(Sorry for the dirty sailcover...I know I shame you guys...)

But on the other WC boats I've seen, it doesn't look radical. Here's a not-too-great shot from the Triton MIR:

#218 wrote:- That molded headliner in kabauze's photo looks so much nicer than the unfinished glass in the earlier Tritons.
Yeah, but the photos give it too much credit. For a chopper-gunned headliner built in the Kennedy administration it's done OK but is starting to look pretty ragged in person. The numerous scorch marks leave me wondering just what went on onboard in the past! Also, it blocks access to a lot of important (and leaky) deck fittings in the coachroof, like the through-bolts for the grab rails and the dodger deck fittings. I kind of envy the unlined boats their simplicity and access!
Tim

Post by Tim »

It's funny how, unless you're looking specifically for it, that "power bulge" doesn't really call attention to itself in photos of the West coasters. I've seen that photo of Pegasus from the MIR any number of times, but have never noticed the bulge.
kabauze wrote:For a chopper-gunned headliner built in the Kennedy administration it's done OK but is starting to look pretty ragged in person.
The funny thing with those molded headliners is that they tend to be the best-looking part of the boat to begin with, but become increasingly dingy-looking in direct proportion to the improvements being made in the cabin.

When I got Glissando, the cabin liner looked great, and I thought that I'd be all set. The more I did, the more I realized how lousy it actually looked. But in a sea of scuzz and dismally neglected light blue paint and fake wood, the liner looked pretty sweet at first.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

(we all notice random things in various pics. I probably would have looked right past the dirty cover if you hadn't mentioned it)

What's with the little booster-blocks under the lifeline stanchions? Do they change the angle by a few degrees, or is the idea to spread the load?
kabauze

Post by kabauze »

Yeah, those unvarnished teak 'booster-blocks' or stanchion pads were there when I bought the boat and evidently were mounted because the stanchions have zero degree bases. Deck inclination is somewhere around 10-12 degrees from level near the stanchions, so the blocks were cut on a bevel to bring the stanchions upright. This prevented the boat from looking like a porcupine with stanchions sticking out from the sides - also an unsafe condition, I might add.

I had to get rid of the blocks, though. The bedding had failed and the core was rotting under them, but I had to destroy the blocks to get them off the deck for repairs. I suspect they were bedded in - what else - 5200. I'm currently molding up glass/epoxy stanchion pads to permanently bond to the deck. These pads will serve the dual purpose of bringing the stanchions vertical and holding their bases up out of standing water on deck:
Mark.Wilme

Post by Mark.Wilme »

Those are nice, how were you able to mould them like that without getting an exothermic reaction ?

when I built something similar for a coachroof traveller on our old boat I had one very memorable smoke and heat incident despite being careful about adding West System slowly in layers
Mark.
S/V Calypso. 2001 Beneteau Oceanis 381
Not quite a plastic classic yet
Bill P
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Frisco Flyer III

Post by Bill P »

Raised cabin Frisco Flyer III had 5'-8" headroom. I owned a 1964 named Mystique...sweet boat.

bb
nhdory
Deck Grunge Scrubber

flyer headroom...

Post by nhdory »

5'8" in the main area and only 4'7' up in the front of the doghouse. I'm 6'4" and its pretty tight in there.
Restoring a Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer....
http://friscoflyer.blogspot.com/