A crazy project I'm very seriously considering...Swede 55

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Noah
Skilled Systems Installer

A crazy project I'm very seriously considering...Swede 55

Post by Noah »

I figure this is as good a place as any to enlighted you all on this crazy idea of mine...

I have found a Swede 55 that I plan to purchase and renovate. The short list is that the hull, decks, rig and interior are in good shape. It needs a new engine, electronics, pulpit and a few other things. I figure that the items needed will roughly double the cost above the purchase price. I will spend the next 2 years upgrading and sailing the boat on the lake.

In 2009 I plan to enter the Bermuda 1-2 race. This is a single and double handed race that runs from Newport to Bermuda and back to Newport. The first leg is single handed, and the leg back is double handed.

While the boat is definately an old school design, it is still pretty fast. It has a PHRF of 72, though the boat I'm looking at has a larger rig, so it may rate even faster. One just won the 2006 double handed transpac, and they are well proven ocean boats. From what I can tell they have excellent sea manners, which make them particularly well suited for single or double handed racing.

You only live once, so what the hell, why not live the dream...And yes I'm crazy.

YOu can find more pictures and info about the boat at: http://www.swedesail.de/en

I want a shop!
Mark.Wilme
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Mark.Wilme »

Look Ma, a flying boat !
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

I don't know much about them, but I love the overhangs and the flattish sheer highlights the length. What year is the boat?
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

CREW LIST!!!!!

:)
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Sorry Mike, he can only take one. Maybe next year.

Beautiful boat. And you are right. This is just the place to announce this sort of thing.

-Britton
Noah

Post by Noah »

I believe that the boat is a 1977. BTW, it's not the one in any of those photos. There were around 35 of them built over a number of years. There is another on Yachtworld where they are asking around $95k, but the boat still needs work. I would hope that when everything is said and done resale would be $75-85, but it will take good marketing to sell the boat.

Because it's so long and narrow there isn't a huge amount of room below decks. It has roughly the volume of a modern 35-38ft boat.

Anyway, I still like it...
I want a shop!
Mark.Wilme

Post by Mark.Wilme »

Noah,

I would hope that when everything is said and done resale would be $75-85, but it will take good marketing to sell the boat.
are you doing this just for the resale or to keep the boat ?
Summersdawn

Post by Summersdawn »

Nice looking boat. I love the blend of classic overhangs and modern(ish) keel/rudder.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
Peter
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Takes my breath away just looking at the pictures .
Keep us posted, Noah!!
And I'd like to say "Take the leap", but I don't want to influence your decision ;-)
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

These are cool boats. I remember when they were being marketed during the 70s in all the boat magazines (which were still fun to read at that point). Most of the versions shown in the ads had this little tiny aft cabin that always intrigued me. I love the long, narrow shape of the boat. Very unique, and surely a head-turner wherever you go. I bet you'll find lots of interested people on the lake once you start sailing her there!

The owner of Brooklin Boat Yard has a boat built as a modification of this Swede 55 design that he has sailed extensively for years.

Good for you. One has to follow their dreams. I hope this works out for you...but of course we expect pictures of "your" boat as soon as possible too!

Good luck!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dmairspotter
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Wind Horse
Boat Type: 1974 Dufour 27

Post by dmairspotter »

Hey, I'll say it...Go for it!!!

What a beautiful hull!
Noah

Post by Noah »

Thanks for all the positive comments.

That aft-cabin is a funky little thing for sure. I suppose it's great for storage, but I'm not sure how nice it is to be back there.

For long term cruisers it might be a great place to put guests or themselves for a few days. For passage making it would probably be a good place to sleep for the off watch while others are navigating, cooking, etc.

I don't really plan to make any money on the boat, but I would hate to loose too much as well. Obviously my time would be free, but I think that I would be able to re-coup the cost of engine, etc. If I did well in the Bermuda race it might help the resale value more.

I keep thinking a dark hull would be nice looking (yeah, I have a thing for dark hulled boats) but it is already so long and low that it might make the boat look strange. Dark Blue or black is a great color to slim down a chunky boat...
I want a shop!
Summersdawn

Post by Summersdawn »

I think the boat can pull off a dark hull. Dark blue with a goldleaf cove stripe! And some brightwork!
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
greg phillips

Swede 55 project

Post by greg phillips »

That's going to be a beautiful boat for you. My mooring is next to the Swede 55 ( VORTEX) that Tim referred to in his post and I'd say its one of the prettiest hulls in Center Harbor. Also, I store my boat in the same shed as her so if you need a picture I could probably get some.

Best of luck.

Greg
AJ
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by AJ »

Sounds like a wonderful plan, Noah! Those Swede 55s sure are beautiful looking boats.
Noah wrote:I keep thinking a dark hull would be nice looking (yeah, I have a thing for dark hulled boats) but it is already so long and low that it might make the boat look strange. Dark Blue or black is a great color to slim down a chunky boat...
To help you visualize what she might look like in dark blue, here are a couple photos I collected earlier this year from a listing for a 41' Swede 30 in ME named Stormsvalla:

AJ
Figment

Post by Figment »

If ever a boat were screaming out to be rigged as a yawl.....
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Or gaff rigged. Hehe
Noah

Post by Noah »

Yeah, I saw that Reimers 40, but the looks just don't do it for me (and I tried hard.)

Earlier in the year I almost purchased this 30 square meter, but at the time didn't quite have the finances together to do it...yes I'm still kicking myself. Image

Anyway, I'm off to look at the Swede on Saturday morning. It's expensive purchasing a boat from 1500 miles away. I'm going down to do a self survey and perhaps make an offer this weekend. Depending where we get with the whole process I may be going back down for a survey, and perhaps a 3rd time to load it up to have it hauled to Vermont.

This boat isn't a project boat, but at the same time I know that I will be replacing most of the systems (engine, electrical), so a survey would really only be for hull and rig condition. The rig is only a couple of years old, so I'm not too worried about it...that just leaves the hull and decks. Perhaps I can get a reduced rate survey for just those items.

Anyway, I hope it all goes well.

Noah
I want a shop!
Jason K
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

Anyway, I hope it all goes well.
So do I - have fun and don't forget the camera.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Tim

Post by Tim »

Noah wrote:Earlier in the year I almost purchased this 30 square meter, but at the time didn't quite have the finances together to do it...yes I'm still kicking myself. Image
That is a stunner. Simply gorgeous. What's that stern overhang, like 40 feet? ;>)
Noah

Post by Noah »

You don't have to rub in the fact I was a fool for not purchasing that boat...

It was 43ft overall, and probably 26-28 waterline...something like that. Yes, she was amazing...
I want a shop!
Noah

Post by Noah »

Just thought I would post a quick update here about the Swede.
Noah
Last edited by Noah on Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
I want a shop!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Thanks for the update. I look forward to seeing some pictures, even if you decide not to go forward!
Figment

Post by Figment »

This seems an opportune time to ask yourself "is there a boat that can get me through the Bermuda race for less?"
Noah

Post by Noah »

Without a question there are other boats that would be a much more reasonable choice. I would think a J-35 is probably a cheaper platform and more competitive...But...It doesn't stir my imagination. I'm a romatic, and I like to dream about my boats. This boat is a boat I can dream about. A J-Boat just won't do that for me. Folks more reasonable than me would buy a simpler boat with less work needed and have a better time...I wish I was that guy, but I'm not.

I would stick with wood, but I honestly don't have the money to do that. At this point most wooden boats are just too risky for me financially. I did very well with my Hinckley, but I don't know if that will happen again. I should have purchased that 30 square, but it was a large chunk of money to plunk down on a boat that was lightly built in the first place, and could only fall apart.

This Swede is still a risky proposition, but I feel confident that the structure of the boat won't degrade too quickly. The systems are a known entity, and I will be replacing most of them anyway. If I do it right I will always be able to escape with what I have into the boat.

Thanks, and I will let you know how it goes. Sorry I can't post pictures right now.

Noah
I want a shop!
Noah

Post by Noah »

Well he wouldn't accept my offer (only wanted asking price) so I don't think this will happen. I think he's crazy, but we will see.
I want a shop!
Mark.Wilme

Post by Mark.Wilme »

Hey Tim, if the boat is in Vermont near Noah then it can't be that far from you, can it ...

Another Northern Yacht Restoration project ??
Mark.
S/V Calypso. 2001 Beneteau Oceanis 381
Not quite a plastic classic yet
Noah

Post by Noah »

Actually the boat is pretty far away from the east coast. Now I'm just kinda pissed that he wouldn't reason with me. We both agreed on the amount of work the boat needed, and we both agreed about what the boat was worth when the work was completed. My offer was exactly inline with these two things, but he wanted 56% more.
I want a shop!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Noah wrote:Well he wouldn't accept my offer (only wanted asking price) so I don't think this will happen. I think he's crazy, but we will see.
Boat after boat languish in yards because of stubborn sellers like that. All the logic in the world won't convince these sort of sellers.

It's a real shame, but sadly it's just so often the case. Until one day the seller gets desperate and sells the boat for less than he would have gotten from an earlier potential buyer like you.

Everyone wants to sell their $2000 boat for $20,000, but then wants to only pay $2000 for something that's actually worth $20,000. (All figures for illustrative purposes only...)
Noah wrote:Folks more reasonable than me would buy a simpler boat with less work needed and have a better time...I wish I was that guy, but I'm not.
I know the feeling. But there's just so much more to it than that, isn't there.

Sorry to hear that the deal probably won't go forward. When it's the right time, something will happen.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Mark.Wilme wrote:Hey Tim, if the boat is in Vermont near Noah then it can't be that far from you, can it ...

Another Northern Yacht Restoration project ??
Wouldn't fit in my shop. Phew.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Maybe you need a bigger shop!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Donations will be cheerfully accepted for the shop addition. I can even help you set up a direct deposit of your new paycheck into my shop account if you'd find that more convenient.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

and I thought you were the guy with all the disposable cash floating around...

Funny how shops are like boats. You usually wind up wishing you had one a few feet longer.

As for my paychecks, the new one only brings me closer to the Boston area poverty line. (state economists estimate a minimum of $56k for a single person to live within 30 miles of Boston area - Forbes recently listed the county I live in as the worst place in the nation to live relative to avg. income vs. avg. expenses) I won't cross it by any means. At least it is a move in the right direction. Temporarily though I will be working two jobs simultaneously which should help fill my boat fund. The down side is less time working on the boat. This summer I should be working a three 12 hour per day schedule which means 4 whole days a week just for the boat. I think she will forgive my temporary absence.

Noah, there is always another boat out there. And maybe this guy will come to his senses. Just remember to offer half your original offer next time :-)

-Britton
Mark.Wilme

Post by Mark.Wilme »

Noah, just catching up on unread posts - are you selling your Hinkley then ? That is some beautiful boat.
Mark.
S/V Calypso. 2001 Beneteau Oceanis 381
Not quite a plastic classic yet
Noah

Post by Noah »

My Hinckley was sold last April, so I have been boatless for nearly one year now. I have put in a second offer on the Swede, and we will see what happens. The owner is thinking it over, and I hope we can make the deal. If it does happen I go into high gear spending money...shipping it up here, purchasing a new engine, buying sails, stanchions, running rigging, batteries, etc.
I want a shop!
Tony
Boat Name: S/V Bonnie Blue
Boat Type: Catalina 22

Post by Tony »

Aww, gee, guess it's time for shop 3.0... :-)
Tony
Noah

Post by Noah »

My offer was finally excepted! Now I have to decide if I really want to go forward with the deal. My lady is about ready to kick me out of the house for thinking about purchasing a 53ft boat...It would take a few weeks to get the boat up here, so I need to find a place to stay in the mean time:)
I want a shop!
Duncan
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

Noah wrote: Now I have to decide if I really want to go forward with the deal.
If you do, will you be bringing her up to Vermont?
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Noah

Post by Noah »

Yeah, she would be on the lake for a few years.
I want a shop!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Congratulations! (Assuming you decide to go forward.)
Figment

Post by Figment »

It occurs to me that anyone coming back to a three month old offer probably doesn't have many other options. I'd reduce the offer by 10% at least.
Robert The Gray

Post by Robert The Gray »

Just curious, but what does that boat draw? We have a couple of boats that have deep keels and do not get to go sailing when the tide is low. Are you living in deep water? No, not with the wife, with the boat! just a thought.

r
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
Noah

Post by Noah »

The boat draws 6'8" On lake Champlain that isn't a problem. We have a very deep lake, and I would say most of my sailing is done in 100-300ft of water.

I believe that the draft issue is one of the reasons the boat didn't get sailed in Florida.
I want a shop!
Noah

Post by Noah »

All mine...well once we sign the papers.

I want a shop!
Figment

Post by Figment »

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

I think Mike speaks for me too. A very interesting boat.

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Tim

Post by Tim »

I don't think I've seen a side profile like that that so highlights the low, lean, long shape of the boat. Cool!

Getting her home ought to be interesting. I hope you'll post some updates as things get underway!

Congratulations! She's a unique boat that's sure to be a head-turner wherever you go.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Oo! Oo! Pictures! More pictures!

Where is she located currently? Are you going to put her on the lake?

Did this all get discussed ad nauseum in another thread that I somehow am not connecting in my pre-coffee fogged brain?

EDIT: Clearly, I shouldn't look at the forum before my coffee. Sorry folks. As you were.
Last edited by dasein668 on Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ric in Richmond
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

I remember when those came out I was a sailing FREAK teenager....And I thought the Swede 55 was just awesome.

I am so jealous!!!

What a boat..

Ric

(even the guys on the wooden boat forum are secretly envying you!)
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Triton 185
Boat Type: O'day Mariner, Pearson Triton

Post by Triton 185 »

Noah wrote:
Earlier in the year I almost purchased this 30 square meter, but at the time didn't quite have the finances together to do it...yes I'm still kicking myself.

I worked on a boat that looked a lot like this one a couple of years ago in England. It was a West Solent. While I made new hatches out of reclaimed teak for my friends Solent I got to sail 3 times on a restored one (I was using for measurements). Great boat to sail - fast and wet....and very responsive!