Economical long term cover/shelter suggestions needed

This is the place for information on various types of permanent and temporary boat shops and other project shelters.
bhartley
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel Pyxis
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 Cape Dory 25D

Economical long term cover/shelter suggestions needed

Post by bhartley »

Sadly, Pyxis our CD25D is destined to be on the hard on her trailer in our yard for the foreseeable future (aka 2+ years). The drought has taken its toll on our lake and the level is down 22' and is due to continue going down 1' a week. They have to stop letting water downstream when it gets down 35'. The marina has hired a crane to get boats out while they still can. All ramps are closed. We can not go back in until the water level comes back up to at least only 10' down and they have repaired all of the docks.

That said, I am trying to find the best way to cover the boat while she sits. I want to have access to the boat and at least stooping deck room so I can at least work on some projects -- or just sit in the cockpit and imagine.

I was in favor of a structure like the Clearspan buildings, but I have been vetoed. I also wanted to build a stick built boat shed/garage/shop, but that was vetoed too. Any suggestions for a cover that would allow good access would be appreciated. We don't have a snow load issue to deal with.

My priority is to not let the boat deteriorate and have access for work. His priority is budget.
kendall
Master Varnisher

Post by kendall »

Here's a pretty workable layout:

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/ ... 30&page=10

On that the mast is up and the boom is apparently used as partial support, but could be replaced with a regular ridgepole.

I built a similar structure a while ago, but widened it and extended the legs to the ground so I could do hull work in the snow.
If you don't have snow to worry about, and your plan is to do hull work, you could just widen it, and have removable side skirts in case of rain.

PVC as used in the pics is good in warmer weather, but realy gets brittle in the cold. I built mine out of 2x stock, over engineered actually as I had the top curved so laminated the beams to make it attractive. (when torn down a friend used them for a patio cover) A simple gambrel roof design using 2x4 as trusses would be plenty strong with rain being the only concern, that way you could secure some easily removeable skirts in case of bad weather while you're working on it.

Best would be to tie the trusses together at ridge and corners with 2x4 from below, then make rafters of 2x2 or even PVC on the ties so you don't have puddles forming. (troughs running from ridge to eave so they dum at the eaves instead of truss to truss just holding water)

Ken.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Stimson shed. They can be built cheap and they hold up well. I doubt if something better could be built cheaper.

Hopefully, Mike or Peter will chime in with thoughts about theirs.

I think total cost is $400-500.

http://www.by-the-sea.com/stimsonmarine/bowroof.html

If any self supporting structure is out of the question then I have been doing variations of this for a few years.

A ridgepole, strapping along the stanchions, and short pieces between. Cover with a tarp and work away.

Total cost $100-$200 (tarp and strapping)
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
David VanDenburgh
Boat Name: Ariel
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Under cover

Post by David VanDenburgh »

I'll second the PVC pipe suggestion. That's all I use for Ariel's frame during Michigan winters, and the cover has held up well. If you want more clearance under the cover, using long lengths of PVC pipe bent over the ridgepole and secured to stanchions can create a covered wagon-type shelter. That was our method of covering Ariel for at least two winters, when we were also using tarps, and it worked well.

Here's an idea of what our frame looked like last winter (this winter I've gone with a steeper slope to shed snow):

David
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

Even though I don't have any experience with them, I would second Britton's Stimson shed suggestion. If the Clearspan has been vetoed I personally wouldn't look for a cheaper version of the same thing. From my research it seems like these fabric building cost x amount per year. Go cheaper and they just don't last.I also think that the Stimsons are far more aesthetically pleasing.

I am already so spoiled it is hard for me to imagine working under the pvc and tarp solution. I would definitely build an inexpensive Stimson.

Bummer about the lake. I hope things turn around quickly and you can be back in the water.

Cheers, Bill
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Britton wrote:Hopefully, Mike or Peter will chime in with thoughts about theirs.
LOVE my Stimson Shed. It's still holding up very well after about five years, and still covered with the original 6 mil plastic!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
bhartley

She's home --

Post by bhartley »

Pyxis made it home today. I think I am going to go with a modified Stimson shed as I need to work on the bottom. I can now take better measurements to figure the optimal size.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Right now I'm just grateful that the trip home on the trailer was uneventful!

Bly
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I haven't had the boat in the shed for a few years, it now houses a 1975 Diamond Reo single axle cabover. That's another story.

The 6mil clear plastic used to enclose the ends is in tatters, so it's a bit of a wind tunnel, but the shrinkwrap roof is still holding up, no leaks. The structure itself is absolutely fine.

Could I build it today for $500? I dunno. I can't recall what I spent the first time around, but somehow I suspect that it would be closer to $1200 if it were to be Done Right.
bhartley

Pricing

Post by bhartley »

Figment,

I think you're right on the cost. I kept reading $400-500 online, but when I started pricing lumber from HD & Lowes (or only options) last night -- $1000+ is looking far more plausible.

I'm going to get a price on one of the aluminum roofed RV car ports. In our area, there is far more of a resale market.

It was nice to see her out the window on my way to coffee this morning though.

Thanks,

Bly
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Re: She's home --

Post by Bluenose »

bhartley wrote:Pyxis made it home today. I think I am going to go with a modified Stimson shed as I need to work on the bottom. I can now take better measurements to figure the optimal size.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Right now I'm just grateful that the trip home on the trailer was uneventful!

Bly
I hope we get to experience your Stimson shed project with lots of words and pictures :).