Fancy stimson shed

This is the place for information on various types of permanent and temporary boat shops and other project shelters.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Fancy stimson shed

Post by bcooke »

I just came across this stimson shed and thought it was the nicest one I have ever seen.

http://members.shaw.ca/pgron/BoatShed.htm
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
catamount
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

It's certainly well-decorated and accessorized!
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

hmmmmyeah, but those collar ties focus a lot of stress where it ought not be focused. Really only a problem in snow-country, though, and it looks like he used something other than 1x3 for the straps as well.
Nice digs.

the Arctic Tern is a sweet little boat.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Collar ties?... Not being an architect myself, or a house builder or carpenter or anything I just thought it looked nice and clean and the floor was a nice touch.

I just found the site and the Arctic Tern build site that it belongs to and I am still going through the detailed blogs. The builder is very meticulous and taking a lot of time. I have to wonder if stitch-and-glue is much of a time saver after seeing all the work that goes into that boat. I wonder if a 'traditional' boat or perhaps 'more traditional' construction would have been just as fast to build and nicer looking. I can imagine the builder is getting sick of fillets and biax tape.

I like the NACA airfoil keel section. Not sure if it helps but it sure is pretty. A good blog to check in on.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Ah, I just went back to my Stimson plans, collar ties must be those horizontal members that go across the frames. The original plans don't show them. So is the structure better without them then?
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Tim, your link to 'Sailors for the Sea' has some very depressing facts on the homepage.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

No that structure is much better with the collars than it would be without. Think of those ribs as columns and the collars shorten the columns' unsupported length, same as the partners for your keel-stepped mast. Think of 'em as beams and the span is less; the collars work like intermediate supports or columns; that's just what the collars do in an ordinary 'A' roof.

The structure could be stiffened and stronger for not much money, but for more work, by deepening the spacers between the two longitudinal chords of each rib. There is a point at which the deepening that spaced rib has no further effect where the chords will fail first. Ditto by optimizing the spacing of the spacers. The spaced chords of the ribs are analogous to the top and bottom flanges of a steel 'I' beam and the spacers are analogous to the vertical web in that beam. Beams don't usually have big holes in the web since that would leave the flanges unsupported, the same as trusses don't usually have rectangular holes formed by leaving out the diagonal members. Thus the spaced spacers are a compromise in the strength that could be realized from the chords, a compromise in favor of lighter weight, simple materials, and easy construction. Pretty hard to calculate what forces such a structure should be capable of resisting; all the members are 'indeterminate'.

I'm an architect, graduated from a Canadian university (upon my return from the Army), so it was fun to see the Canadian connection. Googling 'Stimson sheds' doesn't give you much, though.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

The collar ties do reduce the "span" of the arches. The problem with this is that they introduce rigidity to a design which thrives on flexibility. These collars land on the bows roughly mid-span. The bows are not strong enough at this point to resist the forces imparted by the collars. A heavy snow load and a gust of wind = SNAP.

The builder of this particular shed appears to have addressed this by using oversized flanges, a longer than normal web block at the collar point, and by using longer bows (or a narrower floor plan) than the typical Stimson design, so the bows are steeper and will hold less snow.

Don't think of it as a building. Think of it as a tent.