Triton Water tank

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
kempmd
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Triton Water tank

Post by kempmd »

What do I have to do to restore the original water tank in my Triton hull #101? I am slowly restoring it and the water tank is number one before I go to work on the holding tank directly behind it as you did. I have been told that the water tank hasn't been used in 12 years or more.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I cut a hole in the top of the tank, sized to fit one of those round plastic deck plates (which I installed later on), and then cleaned out the tank from the top, once I could get inside. It wasn't too bad inside, actually, but we don't drink the water that comes from the tank. It's fine for coffee and cooking, though.

You can clean the inside with whatever you want, and some bleach would be a good idea as well to kill anything that might be in there. Then, lots of fresh water rinses to flush it out. Water from the tank will never be spring-pure, but if you do these basic steps, it should be OK.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
kempmd
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Water Tank

Post by kempmd »

Thanks for the info. This is a family boat that has been used for racing in Annapolis for some time with little attention to cruising. I have my hands full but she sails beautifully. Next is the new head and holding tank so I can take out my son and the Sea Scouts for long cruises on the Chesapeake Bay.
The Good Goose
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by The Good Goose »

The outlet tube to my water tank was cracked and leaked. I had to cut about an inch and a half off and grind it down and reattach the hose. Make sure you check that before you leave on that week long cruise. Mine didn't start leaking until I got out in some waves and jostled around.

Brock