Cabin Interior Roof Re-Paint

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
BadjerJim

Cabin Interior Roof Re-Paint

Post by BadjerJim »

For Tim and the group -

I have a 1972 vintage Cal 29, that was originally equipped with a headliner (icch!). Ages ago, this headliner was removed, and the cabin roof repainted with some kind of gloss paint. Origin and type completely unknown.

The paint that's on there now is kinda a "stipple" finish... like it was done with enamel, and a roller brush. I know that I can sand those areas smooth, and cover with... Interlux Brightsides? Something like that.

So my question is this: there are areas where the fiberglass is not smooth... in fact, show the "texture" of the woven fiberglass stuff used to lay-up the cabin roof. And, paint as I will, those areas will still look like poo.

I'm reluctant to get into something like West Systems fiberglass just to patch/smooth a few areas. Is there an easy way to fill/smooth these woven fiberglass spots... something like a putty, or filler, or... ?

Again: this is cosmetic, not structural. Just to make the cabin roof interior look smooth and nice. Any ideas and suggestions would be wildly appreciated!
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I thought I had your answer until you said you were reluctant to use West System. Why would that be?

I was going to suggest epoxy with a sandable filler added. I guess you could go with Bondo or something like that but it wouldn't be all that different from epoxy and epoxy is better IMHO.

Are you thinking epoxy would be too heavy?

-Britton
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

BadjerJim wrote:I'm reluctant to get into something like West Systems fiberglass just to patch/smooth a few areas. Is there an easy way to fill/smooth these woven fiberglass spots... something like a putty, or filler, or... ?
I'm guessing you aren't seeing a need to purchase all the various components of an epoxy resin system (resin, hardener, pumps, fillers, etc). If you want to avoid this, there are plenty of pre-mixed body fillers out there. For your application, you could get away with any polyester body filler from the auto parts store.

If you want to go a little higher end (my recommendation), look for the 3M marine vinylester filler, which is available at marine stores and some auto parts stores as well. For small jobs and minor filling, these products are fine, and are easier to deal with than the full epoxy resin system.

That said, anyone with an older boat needing some upgrading will usually find myriad uses and applications for epoxy resin and its components. If you're not used to using it, though, maybe you're better off with one of the products above.

You can use almost any paint on the interior. I generally believe that quality paints are always worth paying for, and would steer away from house-type paints. I have had good luck with some of the more basic marine enamels from Interlux and Petit. A nice choice, actually, is one of the semi-gloss paints, rather than the high gloss of Brightsides or similar. I would choose a semi-gloss or satin finish if I were repainting my own interior cabin trunk again. The gloss is fine, but the toned-down appearance of a satin is a richer look, actually. Flat paints aren't too good because they show dirt and are hard to clean.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

For your application, you could get away with any polyester body filler from the auto parts store
Does Bondo fit into this category or is it something else entirely?
anyone with an older boat needing some upgrading will usually find myriad uses and applications for epoxy resin and its components
Tim isn't kidding :-) I wish I had bought the five gallon containers...

-Britton
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Bondo is just a polyester filler. They even market "marine" Bondo now at marine stores, which is probably the same thing for more money. I don't buy the stuff, so I don't know.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
windrose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by windrose »

There are also some really good less expensive, easier to work with, epoxies out there on the market. I think West is so popular because it is so easy to run out and pick some up when you need it.

I built a little 19' gaffer and used Raka which is a small family owned outfit out of Florida. I like that the product mixes 2:1, they have fast, slow, no blush hardners.... good stuff, nice folks.

http://www.raka.com/
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
West River, Chesapeake Bay
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

bcooke wrote: Tim isn't kidding :-) I wish I had bought the five gallon containers...
Yeah, I debated whether to get a 2.5 gallon kit of System 3 (3.75 gallons mixed product) or the big 5 gallon kit (7.5 gallons of mixed product). I'm glad I went with the big kit. I've blown through about 5 gallons of mixed product already and I haven't done the hull yet....