How do I leveling a boat on the hard

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
David

How do I leveling a boat on the hard

Post by David »

Can anyone offer a method of leveling as she is being blocked on the hard? Do you use the cabin sole as the determiner of what is "level" on the boat?

Thanks in advance,

D
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

David:
I place a long 2x4 across the cockpit, perpendicular to the center line of the hull, and put a carpenters level on it.

Fore and aft I level by measuring from the painted waterline to the ground, bow and stern, as long as the ground is fairly level.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

The cabin sole might be level, but you can't necessarily count on it; it might be pitched to promote drainage. The 2x4 is a simple solution to obtain transverse leveling, or you could use a water level. You can even run a level across between the cockpit seats, which is likely level enough.

Making and Using a Water Level

The true waterline could be level, but be sure to confirm there is no sheer to the waterline before measuring or using a water level; usually, it's only the boottop that might have sheer, but you never know what might be the situation. On a Triton, the lower scribe mark is actually parallel to the ground when the boat is leveled. I suspect this would be the case for most waterline scribes (not boot scribes, though).

A water level will help you level the boat even if the ground is uneven fore and aft.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating