Outrigger Project

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
markst95
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Swift
Boat Type: Cape Dory Typhoon

Outrigger Project

Post by markst95 »

It started life as a wood\epoxy 16' whisp rowing skiff, was converted into a trimaran, and is now a proa I guess. Don't know if I want to convert it back to a tri or just restore it. Should be fun...

Last edited by markst95 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Re: New Project

Post by earlylight »

What an interesting project. Please keep us informed of your plans and post plenty of pics no matter what course you take.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
seasailor55
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Type: Cape Dory 22 Pearson Ensign

Post by seasailor55 »

Hmm. Looks like a Tremolino minus one hull. I suppose it would be fairly easy to convert back to a trimaran by utilizing another H16 hull, although that would make it too wide to trailer unless the amas were removable. What does the sailing rig look like?
markst95
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by markst95 »

Its got a Hobie 14 hull on her now. I think I'm going to leave it as an outrigger, I have a hobie 12 monocat rig which will probably be too small, 90 sq ft but I want to give it a try. I have access to two hobie 16 hulls but that would double the weight of the boat and would need a big sail plan.
seasailor55
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Type: Cape Dory 22 Pearson Ensign

Post by seasailor55 »

A Hobie 14 rig, maybe? One sail with a fairly light mast, but you wouldn't have much purchase for your stays on one side. There are lots of simple rigs that might work. How about 2 H12 rigs? 180 sq. ft. total
TampaBay
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Type: Coronado 15

Post by TampaBay »

Whats wrong with going back to a rowing skiff? They are cool enough. If you wanted to go the trimaran route, I think that Hobie hulls can be had for very cheap (lots of "parts boats" out there.)
markst95
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by markst95 »

Here's a pic of what she used to look like with a Hobie 14 sail rig.

I always wanted to have a tri but with the gear I have I think I'll start with an outrigger and see how she works. I'm going to make everything removable so it would be easy to convert her back to a try in the future. I need to replace the crossbeams and was thinking of extending them out about a foot and a half on the port side to add a flotation tube to help prevent capsizes. This would allow me to connect the side stays onto the crossbeam farther out than just onto the gunnel. Something similar to this but with more flotation at the end. I'm also going to replace the rudder with a stern mount flip up style.