Triton Structural Question

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
sscoll
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Medora Jane
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #532 E.C.

Triton Structural Question

Post by sscoll »

There's a one inch by one inch thick horizontal internal glassed element running basically the length of the hull about 6" below the hull/deck joint. I'm thinking its a structural "stiffening" element. It doesn't occur in either the head or hanging locker so doesn't conflict with my glassing in plywood gussets I've installed to support external chain plates.

I'm adding forward lowers to the rigging and am thinking that I'll simply cut a chunk of it away up in the V berth area where I need to attach plywood to the inside of the hull for hanging my forward lower.

Anybody have an opinion about this before I cut into the thing?

Thanks.
Steve
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Re: Triton Structural Question

Post by earlylight »

Steve,

Is there an external rub rail on the hull that may be using it for backing for attaching screws? If you have any photos of this 1 x 1 stiffener you could post here it might be helpful.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
sscoll
Master Varnisher

Post by sscoll »

No, there's nothing on the outside except the telegraphic shadow of its form. It appears to be simply an aid for the folks that laid up the hull fifty years ago. Its not a wiring conduit, at least not up in the V berth area. Its just a rounded lump that runs along the hull.

I'd thought about posting pictures but screw it, I'm gonna cut the sucker. This is too far into my second season with this boat on the hard for me to have much mercy for things getting between me and floating. There's a Tall Ships thing in Duluth the end of this month and I'm going to be there.

I've back filled with thickened epoxy an inch of glued plywood, strapped in place with four or more layers of fabric which will provide a home for the other two chain plates just aft of the mast support beam bulkhead. I don't think I'll create a critical weakness by cutting an eight inch chunk of this thing. I'll let you know, eh.

Thanks for your interest.
Steve
danielguiod
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: HOKAHEY
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by danielguiod »

Externals are on my to do list also. I know the boat has done fine without forward lowers for 40 years, but I can see that mast pumping in a stiff wind.
That is definitely a lateral stiffener. Considering that those lateral stiffeners are so small, and the Triton hull is so thick, They are probably ineffective. None the less, I would err on the side of caution and try to rebuild them in some way. Another thought is to leave the stiffener intact, make sure the bolts do not pass through them and beef up the hull where the bolts come through. My guess is that since there are no forward lowers now, they would actually carry very little load.
By the way, Is the plywood you are using going to be flat on the hull? My intention was to increase hull thickness by 1/4 " in an 8" x 20" patch at the chainplates using fiberglass cloth or roving. I think I got those numbers from another thread here or on the Triton group. If there ever was a leak at the chainplate bolts it would not affect glass, that's my thinking. Good luck!
sscoll
Master Varnisher

Post by sscoll »

The plywood is two layers of treated half inch with two part glue screwed together. I filled the space behind it with thickened epoxy when I pressed it in place. I doubted my ability to effectively flatten that space with biax and the necessary sanding to get it flush so I opted to go the way I did. The hull doesn't really curve very much there.

I take your point about erring on the side of caution and am thinking that the gusset I'm placing will exceed the strength of the piece I remove, if indeed I need to remove it. I'll figure it out tomorrow.
Thanks. Steve
danielguiod
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: HOKAHEY
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by danielguiod »

Yeah Steve, it sounds like it is going to be plenty strong. But if you get a chance,please post some pictures especially of the chainplate reinforcement at the main bulkhead (for the uppers). I still don't have a clear picture of what I want there, because I don't want to compromise the integrity of the bulkhead.
By the way, are you using stainless or bronze for the chainplates, and what are the dimensions?
Thanks
sscoll
Master Varnisher

Post by sscoll »

I've decided to glass an attachment block onto the hull above the shelf and call that good. I'll post pictures in a day or so. The rig was fine for fifty years without forward lowers.

These blocks are smaller than the ones behind the mast bulkhead but should be stout enough to take some loading, I'll watch and find out.
sscoll
Master Varnisher

Post by sscoll »

I've launched, finally, and had opportunity to sail in some stiff winds. The new chain plates are seemingly rock solid. I've been meaning to post some pictures and will do so when I remember to take the camera.
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

Glad to hear the project appears rock solid. I look forward to your pics. Meanwhile enjoy the sailing
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
sscoll
Master Varnisher

Post by sscoll »

I've got some pix of the chainplates I'd like to post but don't know how to do it. Someone fill me in, eh? Thanks.