Removing a wheel and reinstalling a tiller

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Crazer
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Clio
Boat Type: Rhodes Swiftsure 33

Removing a wheel and reinstalling a tiller

Post by Crazer »

My Pearson Wanderer has, sadly, had her tiller replaced with a wheel. I think she was at some point used for charters, and at any rate it's a common modification for these boats. I really don't like the wheel, I have never sailed with one but I do know how much I like a tiller. I was also sitting in the cockpit today and realizing that you can really only comfortably steer from one position on each side of the cockpit. Finally, the wheel takes up a large amount of real estate and can't be stowed. On my boat reverting the the original configuration would be a simple matter of removing the wheel and sticking a new tiller head on the shaft sticking up through the cockpit floor. I was wondering what kind of rudder head assembly I would need for this modification. The shaft itself is about an inch in diameter with a notch about 1/4 inch deep and extends three or four inches down the length of the shaft. The fiberglass tube surrounding the shaft clearly had some fitting on it as it is unpainted FG for most of its length. There is a rubber fitting which fills the gap between the shaft and the fiberglass tube. I did a little rendering of what the assembly looks like:
09.png
So my question, is what kind of fitting do I need? I'm guessing that the term "key" refers to the notch in the rudder shaft. I did not, however, see any obvious point where the rudder head would be screwed or bolted to the shaft. There were screw holes in the fiberglass tube, front and back, however.
As eccentric as my boat.

Rhodes Swiftsure 33
SV Clio
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Re: Removing a wheel and reinstalling a tiller

Post by earlylight »

Here is one place to start your search: http://www.rigrite.com/Hardware/Rudder_ ... er%20Heads
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
danielguiod
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: HOKAHEY
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by danielguiod »

The tiller head does not bolt to the shaft.
You need to buy a bronze keyway.
The tillerhead has a pinch bolt, slide the head over the shaft and keyway and tighten the pinch bolt- that's it.
Crazer
Topside Painter

Post by Crazer »

Thanks guys. Once I looked at the rigrite page I realized how it worked. Unfortunately, new rudder heads are (surprise!) quite expensive. Ah well, time to start looking for used...
As eccentric as my boat.

Rhodes Swiftsure 33
SV Clio
Carl-A259
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Romper
Boat Type: Pearson Triton hull705

Post by Carl-A259 »

It's actually called a Woodruf Key. Tell me what you are comfortable spending for the parts you need and I'll check for you at the salvage yard I use , If he has something that will work I'll grab it and tell you how much of your money I spent!! LOL... I'm going there on the 6th of next month. Double check the shaft size but 1 inch sounds correct.
Crazer Do you know what happened to the Electra registry list Ken Had posted on his site. It seems all of his web site info has vanished.
triton318
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Dove
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by triton318 »

Crazer wrote:Thanks guys. Once I looked at the rigrite page I realized how it worked. Unfortunately, new rudder heads are (surprise!) quite expensive. Ah well, time to start looking for used...
Everything at RigRite is too expensive. I'm sure you can find a rudder head somewhere else for a lot less.
Jay
Dove, Pearson Triton #318
Hayes, VA
LazyGuy
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Crazer,

I only have experience on one Wanderer with a tiller and can tell you that it was the heaviest helm I have ever sailed. Even under power. I have never taken a close enough look at the rudder while thinking about the heavy helm to figure out why. My point is that maybe you should keep the wheel for a year and see how you like it. There is no rule that says you need to make all the modifications the first year.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Crazer
Topside Painter

Post by Crazer »

Dennis, I took your advice and discovered I hate the wheel with unrestricted passion. It has failed me twice at inconvenient moments, confines me to uncomfortable corners of the cockpit, is a major PITA when I have friends hanging out in the cockpit, makes steering a massive pain (I'm used to being to just yank the tiller to get the rudder hard over) and is in general even worse than expected. I also took your statement regarding the heaviness of the helm to heart and so I am working on designing a new rudder to correct that problem.
As eccentric as my boat.

Rhodes Swiftsure 33
SV Clio
LazyGuy
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Crazer,

I understand not liking the wheel and now that you have tried it and made a decision, you will never second guess removing the wheel. I took a look at some google images for the Wanderer, particularly the rudder and I really think it is Bill Shaw's worst rudder design. Bill designed some real nice boats that rated well in PHRF and the Wanderer is one of them. But I am looking at about 2.5 - 3 feet of leverage from that bottom corner that you may have to fight. You are not the first and will not be the last to sail a Wanderer by tiller and maybe the one I sailed was one of the worst. Let us know next spring how you like it.

Cheers
Dennis
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
galleywench
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Rhodes 19

Post by galleywench »

I know it's a late response, but I am planning on removing my wheel steering with a tiller as well. I don't think you'll be disappointed, the wheel just isn't needed on boats our size, adds complexity, and you lose the responsive feel of a tiller.
1963 Rhodes 19 #731
http://www.fernhollow.net
Crazer
Topside Painter

Post by Crazer »

I sailed a Triton this past weekend with a tiller and was reminded yet again why I wanted the wheel gone. It just felt so much better. I can't imagine why anyone would choose to go from that to a wheel. Also, the Edson setup seems, frankly, verging on flimsy and in my case was badly installed.

I'm still looking a tiller for a 1 1/4 inch shaft (I think) so if anyone has a lead, I'd appreciate it.
As eccentric as my boat.

Rhodes Swiftsure 33
SV Clio
Crazer
Topside Painter

Post by Crazer »

I sailed a Triton this past weekend with a tiller and was reminded yet again why I wanted the wheel gone. It just felt so much better. I can't imagine why anyone would choose to go from that to a wheel. Also, the Edson setup seems, frankly, verging on flimsy and in my case was badly installed.

I'm still looking a tiller for a 1 1/4 inch shaft (I think) so if anyone has a lead, I'd appreciate it.
As eccentric as my boat.

Rhodes Swiftsure 33
SV Clio
galleywench
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Rhodes 19

Post by galleywench »

This should work but is very expensive: http://www.edsonmarine.com/marinestore/ ... &cPath=289

I haven't found anything used, they seem to be few and far between.
1963 Rhodes 19 #731
http://www.fernhollow.net
seasailor55
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Type: Cape Dory 22 Pearson Ensign

Post by seasailor55 »

You might try Boaters Resale Shop in Kemah, TX. They are a marine salvage and used boat parts dealer, and have a warehouse full of sailboat gear. The anodized bronze toe rails on our Cape Dory 22 came from BRS.
seasailor55
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Type: Cape Dory 22 Pearson Ensign

Post by seasailor55 »

There's one on e-bay right now - rudder head for 1" shaft with keyway. Includes tiller head bracket. $60.00 Search Boat Parts and Accessories - Sailing Gear and Hardware - "tiller"