Repairing fiberglass damage under a mast step

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Crazer
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Clio
Boat Type: Rhodes Swiftsure 33

Repairing fiberglass damage under a mast step

Post by Crazer »

On my Sea Sprite there is a place under the mast where the inner layer of fiberglass has completely split through. The point where it's split is right where the inner layer of fiberglass joins the deckhouse. As you can see in the photo this is just aft of the aft compression/support beam for the mast. It has been reinforced sufficiently with a pair of large hardwood beams sistered to the existing compression beams. But, of course, I want to fix it "right" and it needs to be done for cosmetic reasons anyways. It seems simple enough to me, I'll remove the cross beams and grind out damaged area and then laminate up a new inner layer of fiberglass. Is there anything else that I should be thinking about? What about the cause of this type of damage, could it just be from years of hard sailing or is it possible she suffered some kind of trauma, like a demasting incident?
Attachments
IMG_6770.JPG
As eccentric as my boat.

Rhodes Swiftsure 33
SV Clio
bhartley
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel Pyxis
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 Cape Dory 25D

Re: Repairing fiberglass damage under a mast step

Post by bhartley »

Take a look on the Sea Sprite board for more information. Here's a link to my part of along discussion in March 2012 (the search feature is not working). Mast step construction.

This is a very specific Sea Sprite problem (and a serious one that shouldn't be ignored) and you'll probably get the best advice over there -- not that the folks here aren't on top of things! You need to asses the degree of water damage/infiltration first and foremost. The boat has a very large rig and if the "bridge" has been compromised the whole shooting match can come down through the deck...

Now that I have you terrified... Just address the issue step by step and you'll be ready to sail soon -- but you won't launch next week.

Fabulous boats! We love ours and you will too (soon).

Bly
Crazer
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Clio
Boat Type: Rhodes Swiftsure 33

Re: Repairing fiberglass damage under a mast step

Post by Crazer »

Thanks for the reply. I figured it was a problem a lot of Sea Sprites had, assuming it was not caused by some great trauma. It definitely looks like a serious problem. I don't think there is much if any water intrusion into the core, or if there was it was fixed because the decks are solid and there are only two areas of fiberglass delamination further up on the bow. That's what made me wonder if she didn't have some kind of incident earlier on in her life. I suppose it's also possible water got into the compression system in some other way. I know she's been sailed a lot with the current "repair" but I'll be fixing the issue as soon as I get her here. Since I'll "have to" sail her up the Hudson when I bring her back here what I think I'll do is install a temporary compression post to hold the whole deal up. I think between that and the existing repair she should be OK for two days of cautious sailing.

I already love this boat, I'm going to have a blast with her. Those lines just do me in every time I see her, I don't think there's a better looking boat out there. In my opinion she's even better looking than the Triton (grin) which is saying a lot! I am quite beside myself with excitement.
As eccentric as my boat.

Rhodes Swiftsure 33
SV Clio