Remove SS Machine Screws, Impact Driver?

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
hriehl1
Topside Painter
Boat Name: s/v Mooney Hahn
Boat Type: '68 DS I; '68 Hinterhoeller 28

Remove SS Machine Screws, Impact Driver?

Post by hriehl1 »

I have some broken nylon pad eyes that I need to replace that are set into my aluminum boom with SS machine screws. A hand screw driver cannot budge the screws to back them out. Casey's book suggests a good whack with an impact driver.

Has anybody done this? I'm thinking this could damage or dent the boom.

Thanks.... Hank
brob76
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Auriga
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Re: Remove SS Machine Screws, Impact Driver?

Post by brob76 »

I recently used a Craftsman manual impact driver to remove all the stainless hardware from my mast. It's an indispensable tool for working on spars. Unless the wall of your spar is quite thin, there is little chance of denting it from a blow to the impact driver (providing you don't use a 10 lb sledge). I wouldn't even bother trying with a regular screwdriver, you'll just end up buggering the slot. If a fastener has become welded to the spar due to electrolysis, nothing short of drilling it out will remove it. I removed probably 100 stainless fasteners from my mast with the impact driver -including all the bronze sailtrack stainless screws- and only had to drill out or grind flat two or three. When reinstalling, make sure to dab on some Tef-Gel or some sort anhydrous lanolin and you probably won't need to mess with the impact driver next time. According to most riggers I've spoken with (and from my own experience) Tef-Gel is the way to go. The 2oz tub should last you a lifetime.
hriehl1
Topside Painter
Boat Name: s/v Mooney Hahn
Boat Type: '68 DS I; '68 Hinterhoeller 28

Post by hriehl1 »

Thanks... I'm off to Ace for an impact driver. The replacements are going on with aluminum pop rivets as their function is simply as tie-offs for wrap-around bungee sail ties; no stress on them at all.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I have a manual impact driver, and as a dead-simple bit of mechanical genius, it's great, but yes sometimes the sheer impact is a concern, and other times you just don't have space to swing a hammer.

I recently got myself a cordless impact driver.
I have NO IDEA how I did all of that work on #78 without one. Worth every nickel, really.
bigd14
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Ericson 27

Post by bigd14 »

I used a cordless impact driver to remove all the corroded hardware on mast and boom. I don't think I could have done without it. Best tool ever. Never once broke a screw removing them (but did once installing!).
Doug
1972 Ericson 27