Bootstrip Color Options

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
bhartley
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel Pyxis
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 Cape Dory 25D

Bootstrip Color Options

Post by bhartley »

I am getting ready to polish the topsides and paint a new bootstripe and bottom on a Cape Dory 25D I have been working on. I got 3 gallons of red bottom paint with the boat so I am not open to changing the bottom color. The bottom is currently red with a similar color bootstripe which looks bad and its a bad paint job to boot! The non-skid is cream/beige. I am thinking a hunter green, but I am open to suggestions (especially accompanied by a picture which shows how fabulous it looks). There is no cove strip as of now and I will likely leave it that way.

Thanks!

Bly
seasailor55
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Type: Cape Dory 22 Pearson Ensign

Re: Bootstrip Color Options

Post by seasailor55 »

Our youth sailing program has a CD22 with the red bottom paint and tan non-skid. We are the process of repainting the boat Hatteras Off-White, the non-skid the original Petit sand color, the bottom red, and the bootstripe in chocolate brown. I've attached a picture of our boat (no bootstripe) and a sister ship. A golden brown cove stripe will finish it off. Just a suggestion.
Attachments
Cape Dory - Starboard side.JPG
capedory22profile.jpg
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Are you planning to cruise the boat? Or just local sailing?

If you are planning to cruise, just paint the bottom paint to the top of the bootstripe, and forget the stripe. Because you'll wind up moving the waterline up anyway!

If you are sailing local, and not loading stores for cruise, paint the bootstripe, and a hunter green would look nice.
bhartley
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel Pyxis
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 Cape Dory 25D

Post by bhartley »

Dark Brown would be great, but I can't find any! Have you picked out a paint yet? I have always used Interlux or EasyPoxy. That is why I was leaning towards Green. Hubby would prefer brown (it was what Cape Dory originally used). Definitely not planning any long cruising...
seasailor55
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Type: Cape Dory 22 Pearson Ensign

Post by seasailor55 »

bhartley wrote:Dark Brown would be great, but I can't find any! Have you picked out a paint yet? I have always used Interlux or EasyPoxy. That is why I was leaning towards Green. Hubby would prefer brown (it was what Cape Dory originally used). Definitely not planning any long cruising...
I'm using Ronan Bulletin Color - Dark Brown. I'm a graphic artist and have been painting and lettering boats (including 23K gold leaf on varnished mahogany) for many years. Bulletin Colors come in a very wide range of colors, have been used in the sign industry for decades, and are durable, high gloss coatings designed to withstand years in the sun, rain, and snow. They are suitable for above water marine use on wood, metal, and fiberglass, are easy to apply, (brush, roller, or spray) can be cleaned up with mineral spirits, and dry fairly quickly. I applied two coats of navy blue over the red boot stripe on an Alberg 21 that I once owned. It turned out very well, and still looked good when I sold the boat.