Cheek Block for Slab Reef

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
hriehl1
Topside Painter
Boat Name: s/v Mooney Hahn
Boat Type: '68 DS I; '68 Hinterhoeller 28

Cheek Block for Slab Reef

Post by hriehl1 »

Hinterhoeller HR 28, very similar to Triton

The prior owner had poorly-installed the existing slab reef cheek block... too far forward and using only 2 of the block's 4 mounting holes (the 2 open block holes reveal misaligned holes in the boom behind, so the owner just decided to use 2 fasteners and hope. He was lucky I guess).

In updating the arrangement, I have two questions.

1. Is it OK to mount a slab reef cheek block with pop rivets instead of machine screws? The stress on the cheek block is all sheer, and I don't believe a very heavy load at that. The entire mainsail is 175 sq. feet. Thoughts?

2. What do you recommend concerning no-longer-used hardware on the boom (like that poorly-installed cheek block)? Leave it there, take it out? If taken out, leave the holes in the boom exposed or somehow fill them? I'm not worried about aesthetics... I'm curious what is considered best practice.

Thanks.... Hank