Cleaning Bronze Jib Hanks

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
hriehl1
Topside Painter
Boat Name: s/v Mooney Hahn
Boat Type: '68 DS I; '68 Hinterhoeller 28

Cleaning Bronze Jib Hanks

Post by hriehl1 »

Winter Projects continue. I have 3 hank-on foresails all of whose bronze hanks have some blue-green surface corrosion. I'd like to clean them but some years ago on my Daysailer I cleaned them (I think with WD40 or similar) and ended up with clean hanks and a stained jib.

Does anybody have techniques (materials, methods, whatever) for this task that'll minimize the likelihood of stains on the sails?

Thanks Hank
danielguiod
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: HOKAHEY
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Cleaning Bronze Jib Hanks

Post by danielguiod »

I've used muriatic acid to clean hanks, but they were off the sails. After they need to be rinsed in a baking soda solution to neutralize the acid and then rinsed thoroughly with water. You must use eye and skin protection, and be in a well ventilated area!!! It is a worthwhile skill to know how to sew on hanks.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

plain old lemon juice will clean the green off. Does a great job. I clean all my bronze using it. Can't say if it'll strain the sail- most likely the green would.
triton318
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Dove
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by triton318 »

I thought that the green-blue patina bronze develops is good for the bronze; sort of protects it. Why get them all clean and shiny when they're just going to return to the state they're in now?
Jay
Dove, Pearson Triton #318
Hayes, VA
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

Whether you clean the bronze or not, to avoid staining the sail, use a dry film lubricant such as McLube SailKote in lieu of WD-40
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

triton318 wrote:I thought that the green-blue patina bronze develops is good for the bronze; sort of protects it. Why get them all clean and shiny when they're just going to return to the state they're in now?
LOL- good point. It's really a form of oxidation, which is what rust is. I've begun just washing the bronze with a soap/water solution, and letting it be.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Green is beautiful!
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Tallystick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Nostalgia
Boat Type: Pearson Triton Yawl

Post by Tallystick »

Copper oxidation. like aluminum is protective because the density of the oxide is similar or higher than the metal, unlike iron rust which has a lower density so it expands and flakes off exposing fresh metal to be rusted.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Yep- as I said- it's really a form of oxidation. and washing it leaves a nice brownish patina, which I really like the looks of. But sometimes old bronze is so corroded it looks terrible. And the pistons get clogged up on piston hanks.
Tallystick
Boat Name: Nostalgia
Boat Type: Pearson Triton Yawl

Post by Tallystick »

I haven't messed with any of the stuck hank pistons on my sails yet. Do you suggest lemon juice to remove the oxide clogging the pistons, or just brute force and lube?
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

I'd keep them wet with the lemon juice for a bit, then keep gently working them. I found two sails in a dumpster at Point Lookout Marina when we were there, all rigged with bronze hanks, many of them corroded to the point of immobility . Cut them off the sails and soaked them in a jar with lemon oil for several hours and got everyone of them loose. 10 of them are now on my genoa.
seasailor55
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Type: Cape Dory 22 Pearson Ensign

Post by seasailor55 »

I have the same problem with the bronze jib hanks on a Cape Dory 22 and a 1965 Pearson Ensign, both undergoing restoration for a youth sailing program. Both have bronze hardware (original winches, genoa track, etc.) in various states of oxidation. I'll try the lemon juice (at least it smells good!) and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.
Hulukupu
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

Even on my grand-dad's Dark Harbor 17, it seemed like finger-force would work for hanks to free them. Once they are moving, pull and twist repeatedly. Nobody mentioned a small brass brush, but that works well if they are initially caked with oxidate. The powder from the oxidate seems to lubricate the same way Sailkote does. I'd use Sailkote over lemon juice, but try nothing but fingers (and patience) first.