Painting an aluminum mast or boom?

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
ILikeRust
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Grizabella
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Painting an aluminum mast or boom?

Post by ILikeRust »

Can anyone point to a decent synopsis of the steps to prepare and paint an aluminum mast/boom?

While I've got my boom off the boat and at home in my workshop, I'm thinking I might as well clean it up and give it a paint job to brighten it up.

I've seen masts and booms painted shiny white, and I like that. Right now, both of mine are just bare (oxidized and scuffed) aluminum.

I figure first step is to clean off the oxidation, which I can do with my random orbit sander. But my understanding is there are specific types of primers you have to use for aluminum to get the paint to stick better?

I'm thinking that maybe at the end of this year, I'll have the mast taken down so I can take a good look at the mast step and rigging, and maybe I'll also paint it then.

Thanks!
Bill T.
Richmond, VA

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." - T E Lawrence
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Re: Painting an aluminum mast or boom?

Post by earlylight »

Bill,

The Interlux website (http://www.yachtpaint.com/LiteratureCen ... sa-eng.pdf) has a painting guide which spells out preparation, primers and undercoats for their various paints. The Interlux Perfection is a two part brushable paint with excellent durability. I hope this helps.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Aluminum is difficult to paint. You need to get the primer on minutes after you finish cleaning it.

AwlGrip used to have a 4 page process on how to Awlgrip a mast. All I could find is a condensed version. I painted the aluminum ports on my Luders. The rings around the outside did not take the paint well enough so I am now having them powdercoated.

Here is the Awlgrip info

http://www.pinmar.com/awlgrip/aplicengl/7e.htm
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
radicalcy
Boat Name: AllAboutMe
Boat Type: Columbia 8.7

Post by radicalcy »

In a word, don't do it. If you're displeased with the scuffing on a bare mast, imagine how you'll feel when the now (then) white finish gets dirty, scuffed, scratched,bubbled and worn. And it won't take long...
Clean the aluminum with soap and water, and a 3m pad, and apply wax. Collinite, Bowling Alley wax, whatever. You'll be much happier in the long run.
Larry Wilson
Columbia 8.7
Columbia Sabre
hriehl1
Topside Painter
Boat Name: s/v Mooney Hahn
Boat Type: '68 DS I; '68 Hinterhoeller 28

Post by hriehl1 »

I can only report the experience of a close friend who had his C&C 39 mast AwlGripped bright white... and he rues the day. It looked great when delivered, but now it really does show every little scuff, chip and blemish. He has told me 10 times not to paint my mast.
Opie91
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Persistence
Boat Type: Tripp-Lentsch 29

Post by Opie91 »

First of all as soon as you sand aluminum down it corrodes, but don't worry the corrosion is actually good for aluminum. It forms a protective coating on the surface which helps preserve everything bellow it.

Here is one system that is used to paint aluminum. It is a lengthy process, but it will give you great long lasting results.

1- Sand down the mast.

2- Alumiprep 33 - http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/c ... miprep.php

This is an acid etch. All you do is brush it on for a few minutes and then rinse it off with water. I like to put it on with a brown scotch brite pad it really etches the surface well.

3- Alodine 1201 - http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/c ... ne1201.php

Right after you etch the mast you apply the alodine. It only needs about 3 minutes of dwell time for it to do its work. Just dint let it dry. You rinse this off with water too. After this step is complete your mast is protected from corrosion. You do not have to worry about painting it immediately.

4- Prime with Awlgrip S9001 - http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... do?pid=856

You should spray this product. Do not put too much on. Do not get worried if it appears to be translucent, this is OK.
A quart system is more than enough for any size mast(1 quart base + 1 quart activator).

5- Paint it with any 2 part paint like Awlgrip or Imron.

You mast will look great, although as stated above it will be more likely to show any type of chaffing.

Good Luck.
ILikeRust
Boat Name: Grizabella
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Post by ILikeRust »

OK then! It looks like a cleaning and waxing it shall be! Not only is that fewer steps and less work, as everyone has mentioned, it's just going to get scuffed again anyhow!

Thanks...
Bill T.
Richmond, VA

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." - T E Lawrence
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Just re-purchased a boat I owned some years ago- got her here yesterday.

I painted the mast about 10-12 years ago and it's still doing great, other than some scrapes, etc. Normal wear

Sanded, shot two coats Zinc Chromate primer, then two coats 2 part poly. Most of the mast looks as good as when I shot it, long ago. I think the Zinc Chromate is the answer.

Also did the masts on a boat I built for a customer some 8-10 years ago the same way. Still doing fine.

No corrosion that I can see on either mast, no peeling paint- only paint missing is where blocks, etc, have scraped, and things like that. Can't fault the paint for that.

Mast is painted black by the way