Cetol Gloss + 333 Brushing Thinner?

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Chesapeake Bob
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Aloha Spirit
Boat Type: Cape Dory 30

Cetol Gloss + 333 Brushing Thinner?

Post by Chesapeake Bob »

This post is after the fact, but taking advantage of the last good weather weekend of the year, my First Mate and I applied Cetol Gloss to all of the teak trim on our Cape Dory 30. I had never tried this before, but I added a splash of 333 Interlux Brushing Thinner and the results were very good. I used a good Corona bristle brush and I was pleased with both the easier application and the finish.

Has anyone else used 333 with Cetol?

Thanks,

Chesapeake Bob
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Cetol Gloss + 333 Brushing Thinner?

Post by Hirilondë »

Intrerlux wrote:333 Brushing Liquid is a slow drying solvent to ease brushing and facilitate the flow of specified paint coatings. Extends drying in hot weather. Also recommended in various topside systems for removing sanding residue from fiberglass and wood surfaces.
Interlux seems rather adamant about what it should be used to thin. I think I would rather see what thinner Cetol recommends.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Well of course this got me curious, so I went and looked up the Product Data Sheet for Cetol Marine Gloss (which, interestingly, is now a part of Azko Nobel, of which Interlux is is a member of the umbrella/family).

They say "Do not thin." I don't know enough about Cetol's coating chemistry to know whether it's okay to do so, so I don't think I would experiment, because I would be worried that even if it seemed to go on fine there would be some change in the durability, etc.

(On the other hand, if I understand a product's inherent chemistry enough to judge for myself, then I will sometimes "go out on my own.")

Here is a link to the Cetol Marine Gloss data sheet, for anyone who is interested:

http://www.yachtpaint.com/MPYACMDatashe ... 100618.pdf
Chesapeake Bob
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Chesapeake Bob »

This summer I saw a team of "teak pros" working in the boatyard. These guys were equipped and you could tell this was not their first rodeo. I asked them what they were adding to the Cetol and in a Caribbean dialect they said: "tree, tree, tree, Mon."

I tried it and today it looks great! Either way, she is getting another maintenace coat next year.

CB
Chesapeake Bob
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Chesapeake Bob »

For what is worth, a sailor over on another site said the kerosene and the VMP naptha (he says better than mineral spirits) that is in the Interlux 333 Brushing Thinner makes this thinner an excellent choice for the Cetol. I know Cetol says do not thin, but I cannot imagine getting a final coat that laid down this nice without a thinner of some type.

Chesapeake Bob
Cape Dory 30
sv "Aloha Spirit"
Paulus
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Guillemot
Boat Type: Mariner Ketch

Post by Paulus »

The PO of my boat recommended to splash a small amount of diesel fuel in with the Epiphanes when using it on the spars... said that was what he did each year since he became her owner in 1992.

The spars look magnifficent.
Sailtard
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by Sailtard »

Anyone using Cetol should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

But if you must, yes - thin it on the final. 333 if you like to spend $, mineral spirits if you don't need the placebo effect.
Chesapeake Bob
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Chesapeake Bob »

Wow Sailtard. Sorry I offended you. Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas.