Volvo Penta MD2B Part (relay? solenoid?)

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Volvo Penta MD2B Part (relay? solenoid?)

Post by Richincident »

They just don't build quality. After 44 years the (relay or solenoid) on my equally antique MD2B has died. I am hoping to race the boat in the Great Chase Race on Saturday AND keep her in the water until late October.

Consequently I am hoping to find the part ASAP. OR come up with a work around, though the one I have thought of apparently appalls my wife.

More bad news--I can't find a part number in the shop manual for the boat, and the mechanic who is helping me has the part and hasn't communicated the number. This motor has the EQUALLY antique starter/generator that was original equipment on the boat. When the Bosch part that was clicking but not starting this old device was jumped out, the starter/generator.

In the shop manual there is a designation for the part, (la/ej90/12/12/2900/1.0r2) BUT that part number fails to google, and that number is for the starter/dynamo (as designated by Volvo) not the relay in isolation. Can't so far find that anywhere.

I am heading for the sailboat graveyard in Quincy to see if there MIGHT be one there, but I am not sure anything will do what the missing part does.

I am thinking about jumping it out to start the motor, then disconnect the motor and let it run in electrical isolation. I have a crank but the way the boat is constructed I will not be able to spin the free wheel up enough to start the motor, since I can only do 1/2 turns.

Ideas???
Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT
Carl-A259
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Romper
Boat Type: Pearson Triton hull705

Re: Volvo Penta MD2B Part (relay? solenoid?)

Post by Carl-A259 »

Richard, Remove the part and take it to any starter , alternator rebuilding shop. Throw it up on the counter and say, Hey I need one of these, it's for a old volvo I think, and see what happens. Don't bother with Auto zone, Jack and Harry's etc, they wouldn't have a clue!
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Post by Richincident »

Sheesh. This is EXACTLY what I should have done. I was desperate and cowardly so I looked at the thing and decided to have a mechanic who is VERY good but personality impaired come to look at it.

Good news! The starter/generator is perfect. Bad news! He has the part and is hanging onto it to torture me for a day or so. I hope it goes in today so I can race tomorrow in the Great Chase Race. What a dope I was. There is a place next to the sailboat graveyard that told me they would do JUST what you said and I would have been back sailing TODAY. Not that I am kicking myself.
Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT
Carl-A259
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Romper
Boat Type: Pearson Triton hull705

Post by Carl-A259 »

Ahhhhh, Richard, Hindsight is always 20/20. Enjoy your day on the water,but don't sacrifice your new headsails just to come in first, if a crewmember goes overboard... well that's what a committee boat is for.. Good Luck!!!