Moving hardware on the boom

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
preserved_killick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Seagrass
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Moving hardware on the boom

Post by preserved_killick »

I need to remove 4 small pad-eyes from my aluminum boom, and add a 4 more in different places. The current pad-eyes are rivited to the boom. With the new hardware I'll drill and tap for SS bolts which will be Lanocoated.

What's the current thought on filling holes? Tap and plug with something? These are fairly small. How about fill with thickened epoxy and touch up the paint?

-Jeff
1965 Alberg 30 #116
http://picasaweb.google.com/fongemie
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Moving hardware on the boom

Post by Rachel »

I'll be interested to read what our knowledgeable folks say on this one. Years ago (pre-forum... the horror!), when it was not so easy to get answers, I did a full "re-do" on an aluminum boom, which included eliminating/moving hardware and then having it re-painted with 2-part LPU.

I'm pretty sure (racks brain) the holes (which were all small, machine-made round ones) were just filled with thickened epoxy. I don't know now if that was the best, or correct, but I can say the boom survived many miles of sailing (and not being babied) after that.

So, that's why I'm interested to hear what people have to say about the right/best way.

Rachel

PS: I also went with the coated (Tef-gel) and tapped method for installing new things; in addition I put plastic sheet goods under items with any kind of base that allowed for it.
The Froon
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by The Froon »

Jeff:

I stripped all of the hardware off of my boom, filled the holes, drilled and tapped for new and existing hardware...and painted. ALl came out perfectly (after a second priming attempt).

The process I used was to countersinkaround the original fastener hole, and then mix up West System epoxy (thickened with 407 and 406), sanded smooth after it fully cured, chemically etched, primed and painted. I also used Tef-Gel for the new fasteners.

I have some notes on my blog under the "Spars" section.

Brian
preserved_killick
Boat Name: Seagrass
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Post by preserved_killick »

Hey Brian,

Just checked out your blog, FROONIE looks beautiful. Nice work!

-jeff
1965 Alberg 30 #116
http://picasaweb.google.com/fongemie
Drew
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Drew »

I don't think it is the "right way" but I filled some surplus mast holes with that silver and white emergency metal repair epoxy. I was not planning on paining the mast and it sort of matched the color of the bare aluminum.

Like this:

It has not fallen out yet.

Drew
Hulukupu
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

Regarding your new s/s bolts- I used Lanocote for the first time this season (on my mast)- what messy, sticky stuff it is! I trust it works (it is recommended by Ballinger Spars, among others), but I think I can still detect the smell under my fingernails 2 months later. Wear gloves or you'll smell like a sheep forever.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Post by Skipper599 »

I too am in the process of moving some hardware on my mast - so, where does one buy Lanocote and, is this the ONLY product used to isolate SS fasteners/fittings from Aluminum spar or are there other alternatives?
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I've used Tef-Gel. It's another recommended product for that job and does not smell "sheepy." (I do like Lanacote for some things, but I use Tef-Gel for fastener isolation.)

For fittings I like use thin plastic in a "panel" cut to fit under the fitting (i.e. something with a larger base vs. just a fastener).

Rachel
earlylight
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

Most chandlers carry Lanacote and Tef-Gel or you can have a Pharmacist get you some anhydrous lanolin'
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Hulukupu
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

The thin plastic shield that Rachel mentions above worked very well in my case for stainless spreader sockets attached to my aluminum mast. I purchased by Lanicote from Defender.
LazyGuy
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

For years, based on feedback from riggingonly.com, I have been using pipe dope. The one with Teflon. Three years after rebuilding the mast on my Sea Sprite, the fasteners came out with no problem and none of them came out on their own.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.