Rudder Repair for a Pearson Ensign

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
ensign001
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Rudder Repair for a Pearson Ensign

Post by ensign001 »

Near the end of the 2010 sailing season on my Pearson Ensign, I seemed to notice a delayed reaction between moving the tiller and the boat’s reaction. Once the boat was pulled, I inspected the rudder and found that it was loose on the shaft. I removed the rudder assembly knowing that either a repair or, more likely, a new rudder was in order. After pricing out a new rudder, I quickly decided that I had nothing to lose by attempting a repair. I made it up as I went along and I’m sure I made some mistakes, but I documented the process with pictures and text hoping that it may prove useful in some way. Here is the link to the documented repair:

http://s423.photobucket.com/albums/pp31 ... 0-%202011/

Your comments and suggestions will be appreciated.
Tony
Pearson Ensign, #1 (rev. 1/26/09)
Carl-A259
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Romper
Boat Type: Pearson Triton hull705

Re: Rudder Repair for a Pearson Ensign

Post by Carl-A259 »

Nice work and photos,It appears that rudder was worth saving, That is beautiful wood. What's your plan on finishing? sealed in fiberglass cloth? penetrating epoxy top coat and paint? or just paint. I've done a couple of these myself, I might ad both were a lot worse than what yours appears. If I can help with any question Please ask
seasailor55
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Type: Cape Dory 22 Pearson Ensign

Post by seasailor55 »

Wow! Ensign #1. I'm restoring Ensign #717, and the rudder's in need of some serious help. Zeke Durica of Ensign Spars looked at it and said it could be salvaged. I'll view your pictures.

Thanks
Hulukupu
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

Great pictures, esign001,
Thank you for share them! I pulled my rudder this season and hope I can use your pictures as a guide to restoring mine.