What is the Best Way to Remove Non Skid?

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
J.P.
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Type: Vivacity 20'

What is the Best Way to Remove Non Skid?

Post by J.P. »

Hello all,
Long-time lurker, first time poster.
Has anyone found a good way to remove non-skid?
There are a couple spots where it looks like it has popped-off clear down to the gel-coat, but for the most part, it is very tenacious.
I am stripping paint off my boat in preparation for re-painting. I am using Franmar Soy-Strip and a carbide scraper, and neither seem to do much to the non-skid.
I will also be getting a Random-Orbital Sander soon. Should I just sand it off?

Thanks-
Jeff
Attachments
Non-Skid 02R.jpg
Non-Skid 01R.jpg
Carl-A259
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Romper
Boat Type: Pearson Triton hull705

Re: What is the Best Way to Remove Non Skid?

Post by Carl-A259 »

I would sand it off with the orbital sander and 60 grit IF it is higher than the deck finish, if it is lower, I would scuff up very rough and backfill with epoxy and some filler to bring it to up to height. wear long pants and sleeve shirt and a dust filter. Good Luck
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I would tend to agree that just grinding it off and being done with it would be the best way to go. It will be dusty, so you will want to prepare for that. Since it looks so loose, I might see what I could do with a scraper/putty knife first -- just in case some large, loose "slabs" will come off that way -- and then grind what's left.

By the way, I was not familiar with the "flap discs" before a few years ago. Well, I had seen flap wheels but they were always the type oriented like a paddle wheel, like this one:

I bet the discs Northstar is referring to are the ones I "discovered" when CharlieJ first started using them. They are oriented like a "hand" of playing cards that are fanned out in a circle. You can find them near the grinders/attachments, usually, even at places like HD and the Mart of Wals. Like so:

I would recommend a Tyvek-type suit, gloves taped to the wrists, a good respirator (replaceable cartridge type), and goggles. And a vacuum hose as close as you can get it. You will definitely be flinging dust (but then I HATE being itchy with fiberglass).
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Lookin' good!

I should have mentioned the full-face respirator. I have one and it *would be* fantastic if it only fit me. Alas, even the Small is a bit too big, so I tend to wear my half-face respirator and goggles. Definitely not as good though, for this type of job.

Another benefit to those flap discs: Unlike "regular" sandpaper, they wear like iron!

(I didn't realize there were flatter and not-so-flat ones. I think mine are "flat"... will have to check them out again.)

Rachel

PS: Just after I finished writing this, I noticed the new site motto: "Breathing new life into Good Old Boats..." Could almost be a caption for your photo, Northstar ;^)
J.P.
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by J.P. »

Thanks tons for all the responses. I really appreciate all of you sharing your knowledge and experiences with me.
So, I will plan on starting with an angle grinder and flapper disks, and then Porter Cable DA Sander.
Northstar, you look a bit more like someone from the Deathstar in that full-face getup. I am jealous, though, and will be purchasing one as soon as I can. It looks like you are able to wear your glasses under it, which would be a big benefit for me.

It's funny,really. in all the movies I have seen, whenever someone is working on an old boat, it looks totally great; they are usually in shorts and sandals with maybe some sandpaper or a block plane in their hands, leisurely working in the sunshine, while drinking a beer. The reality is much less romantic. Still, I am excited, and proud to be a bottom sanding grunt!

Thanks again!

-Jeff
Attachments
My boat right after purchase - Vivacity 20' Bilge-Keeled
My boat right after purchase - Vivacity 20' Bilge-Keeled
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Classic/cute boat! It seems there was a phase during which colored deck gelcoat was "in," especially for UK boats. Obviously they weren't planning on future owners sailing it to hot climates... ouch! I imagine you are going to earn a "Smurf" nickname while grinding it off ;)

If you are so moved, it would be really fun to have a thread going about your boat/project (not everyone does this, for various reasons, but they are always very enjoyable).

Rachel

PS: It's heartening to hear you say (with some enthusiasm, yet) that you are going to get a full-face respirator and other safety gear.
galleywench
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Rhodes 19

Post by galleywench »

J.P. wrote: Northstar, you look a bit more like someone from the Deathstar in that full-face getup. I am jealous, though, and will be purchasing one as soon as I can. It looks like you are able to wear your glasses under it, which would be a big benefit for me.
You are able to wear glasses under them without issue. The 3M 6990 is literally a life saver; they are comfortable to wear, never fog up, and keep all the crap out of your lungs and eyes. I find mine comfortable enough that I forgot that it's on. A great investment.
1963 Rhodes 19 #731
http://www.fernhollow.net
Carl-A259
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Romper
Boat Type: Pearson Triton hull705

Post by Carl-A259 »

I would agree the flapper and the grinder disc are the best way to remove the non-skid, it is also the easiest way to take a deck and turn it into a gouged out mess in short order. I purchased an Ariel where the PO was simply removing the cove stripe using a grinder and sanded and gouged his way thru most of the gelcoat and down into several layers of glass before giving up on the stripe. If you don't have a "feel" for this type of power tool you may be better off staring out with a sander and coarse paper. Many posters are skilled craftsmen whose work really is art, They know exactly what tool to grab and what pressure to apply and when to quit and move to the next area. If you have experience with this type of tool go for it. If you should get to carried there is always filler!! And another tool for fairing the deck!! Good Luck
J.P.
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by J.P. »

Ebay looks like they have some pretty-good deals on the 3M Masks, that was a good suggestion.
Glenn has me sold on them; it's too early in my sailing career to be sporting an eyepatch.
Think I'll try one on first though, at the local industrial supply, just to make sure that I order the right size.

Thanks to all, once again. I would have never thought of using those flapper disks, if you guys hadn't mentioned them.
J.P.
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by J.P. »

Figured I'd better report back on how the non-skid removal is going.

I purchased both a Porter Cable 7335 Random Orbit Sander and a Milwaukee 10amp 4 1/2" grinder.
Northstar, you were right-on with the suggestion for the flapper disks on the grinder. Those things really make short work of it, compared to anything else.
And I totally love my Porter Cable Sander. The vacuum hose attachment cuts down on the dust considerably, and makes me wish that my grinder had an attachment also. That thing throws quite a bit of material into the air. As Rachel predicted, I ended up looking like a smurf by the end of the day. When I came in and took my socks off, even my toes were blue!

Thanks for the help.

-Jeff
galleywench
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Rhodes 19

Post by galleywench »

Gotta love the smurf look.

I've looked at some dust port attachments for angle grinders http://www.dustmuzzle.com/dust_collector.php but reviews have always been spotty. Anyone have any luck with something like this? I don't think there are many jobs worse than angle grinding fiberglass (at least for me). I hate the mess.
1963 Rhodes 19 #731
http://www.fernhollow.net
mishnish
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Contradanza
Boat Type: Vivacity 20

Post by mishnish »

aha!

I just realised that this is a Vivacity 20 project!

I also have to remove the non skid on the decks of my Vivacity 20. I have already done a test area with a powerful random orbit and 40 grit paper and had good results. The non skid on the Vivacity is quite fine and not as "big" as some moulded in non skids I have seen, and maybe the angle grinder is a little over kill for this one! I will have a go though as I have used the angle grinder with flappy discs for the entire interior demolition and smoothing. That was messy!

Check out progress! http://www.contradanza.co.uk
Cheers
Chris
http://www.contradanza.co.uk - The restoration of a Vivacity 20, Aberdeen, Scotland.
J.P.
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by J.P. »

Hi Chris,

Yes, I am also the proud owner of a Vivacity 20.
I have followed your blog for a while, and you are proceeding really well.
I have been going at it slowly, and I am still on the stripping-out phase. Trying to get ready to do some patching as soon as the weather warms up just a little more. I just ripped-out all the interior; that forward V-berth really is too short, so I will be re-organizing things a bit. Unfortunately, I have also discovered that water has found it's way into the keels and started rusting. I remember reading when you replaced the ballast in your keel, and thinking to myself "Man, I sure am glad that I don't have to do that!!" I read that Dave Chamberlain (the guy that has the "Mini Bluewater Sailing" blog) is also having to re-do his keels, as well. I Guess it is pretty common.

Keep up the good work!

-Jeff
mishnish
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Contradanza
Boat Type: Vivacity 20

Post by mishnish »

Cheers Jeff!

Yeah the keels were a bit of a mission... over a month to excavate down to the miserable depths of the bottom of the keels, and an extremely unpleasant, messy job. I am pleased with what I have put back in though, there will never be an issue with galvanised punchings fully consolidated with polyester! Definitely on the vee berth being too short! Having recently completed the new vee berth I can honestly say it feels more spacious than some larger boats I have been on as there is plenty overhead space. I would be interested to hear what you come up with! For interest, my vee berth is 1.9m top to bottom. I am 1.85m tall, but due to sleeping across the berth or at an angle, I have acres of space at my feet or head, whatever I want.

For rebuilding, I am working with 12mm marine ply. I am not worried about the weight I am putting back in as I feel I ripped out a substantial weight in the composite moulding of the interior, and all the grinding I have done on the interior must have lost me a good bit of weight too!

Best of luck with your renovations, and keep posting!

Cheers
Chris
http://www.contradanza.co.uk - The restoration of a Vivacity 20, Aberdeen, Scotland.
sscoll
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Medora Jane
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #532 E.C.

Post by sscoll »

Back to non skid removal for a moment. I have a variable speed Milwaukee 7 & 9" polisher that accepts various facing disks. I put on a 7 inch 40 grit flap type sanding disk and stripped a quarter of the deck to bare fiberglass in a couple of hours without raising very much dust running at about 200 rpm. It takes a little getting used to but it works. I'd tried some Zip Strip earlier in the day and realized that it would take gallons and weeks to turn my hilltop into a toxic waste dump. This same tool will take a 9" sanding face that I expect to use with the fairing to come, along with my 5" orbital.