Rudder shaft log repair question

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
ddsailor25
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Rudder shaft log repair question

Post by ddsailor25 »

So we have a leak in our rudder rudder shaft log on our 1968 Bristol 29. It's basically just weaping, but it looks like a crack has developed around the base where it attaches to the hull. Whats the best way to repair this? I do not want to remove the rudder. My plan is to clean it all up, spread on some 5200 and then glass over that. Should it be done a different way?

Thanks,
Dave
1968 Bristol 29
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Re: Rudder shaft log repair question

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Are you content that it's not caused by a packing requiring snugging or replacement?

If there's no packing and there is a fiberglass tube extending up to the cockpit or higher then the above is a bad guess. Get it dry and clean - clean and dry - and glass it. Don't bother with the 5200. It'll just be a mess that the glass will not adhere to.

If there's a fitting of some sort and a bit of vinyl hose leading up; verify where the leak really is. That vinyl hose and clamps are probably not new.

Are you content that the rudder has not been injured by a misfortune and/or that the crack you've observed is not structurally serious? If there is a fiberglass tube then have a look at the top. There could be enough flexure to crack there, too.

I presume that the boat's out of water; any repair will require that things are and will remain dry.
ddsailor25
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Re: Rudder shaft log repair question

Post by ddsailor25 »

That's what I originally thought so I replaced the hose and packing last season and it still leaked. On closer inspection I found it was leaking from a crack in the foberglass. Thanks for the tip on not using the 5200, I'll just glass it and then just use a little extra for increased strength.

Dave
1968 Bristol 29