painting over non skid

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
lowufo
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: providence
Boat Type: bristol 32

painting over non skid

Post by lowufo »

I am trying to avoid all the sanding to take the original gel coat non skid down. has anyone ever sanded the non skid where needed,(if needed,) primed the entire deck (2 coats),,then panted the deck with 2 coats of finish , adding in non skid on the last coat , or maybe both finish coats, and it looking OK ?. I have only seen post that take the gel non skid down.seems like a lot of work if it would look OK with a new sandy type finish over the old primed weaved pattern.IS this a dumd way to do it for some reason . btw i would prep the entire non skid service by cleaning the non skid with acetone or ? before priming
Thanks, as always for comments
bigd14
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Ericson 27

Re: painting over non skid

Post by bigd14 »

When we got our boat the aggressive waffle non-skid had been painted over with a gray sanded non skid paint. The grit had worn off the top of the waffles, and the paint had filled in the valleys, and it was actually quite slippery.

Have you thought about using Kiwigrip? You might look into that option. Good luck whatever your decision.

Doug
Doug
1972 Ericson 27
Chris Campbell
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Re: painting over non skid

Post by Chris Campbell »

Before starting to sand off the non-skid I thought it would be a lot of work, but having done it in the cockpit area (the only place that hadn't had the top skin cut off for a recore) it really isn't bad. With a good sander and aggressive paper (I used 40 grit) it came off for me at about 10 minutes per square foot, and with a vaccuum hooked up to the sander wasn't even unpleasant.

As you can guess, if it were me I'd just sand it off. If you have an area you can sand without committing to the whole deck you might try it and find out if you are willing to continue...