Bedding cabin top mast step

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
hriehl1
Topside Painter
Boat Name: s/v Mooney Hahn
Boat Type: '68 DS I; '68 Hinterhoeller 28

Bedding cabin top mast step

Post by hriehl1 »

Maine Sail has me sold on the virtues of butyl tape (in fact, he sold me some too) for ordinary bedding purposes.

I have a substantial (3/4-inch-thick, probably 5 inches by 9 inches) aluminum (??) casting that serves as the cabintop mast step, and that casting is through-bolted over a bulkhead directly underneath.

My question is the appropriate bedding agent for this mast step application. Given that (as I understand it) butyl never really "sets up", I fear the immense pressures in this application would literally squeeze-out all the butyl. Perhaps something else that does "set up" a bit would be better?

Thanks for any insights.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Re: Bedding cabin top mast step

Post by Skipper599 »

Hey, glad you asked that question because I was wondering the same thing as I'm about to install a mast step myself.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Sailmachine
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Hull 29
Boat Type: Pearson 35

Post by Sailmachine »

Could you not counter sink the screw holes and chamfer the edges of larger holes if there are any. This would leave an area where the sealing material can accumulate and not be compleatly squeesed out. Of course I did not come up with this on my own I had seen this done when bedding deck hardare. For counter sinking holes I perfer to use a new (or never used for concreat) 1" masenary bit rather then a counter sink. Its carbide tipped so it cuts well and preduces a flatter 118 deg counter sink then a standard 82 or 90 degree counter sink.

Pete
okawbow
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Thursdays' Child
Boat Type: Privateer 26 Schooner

Post by okawbow »

I used 3M 4200 on my mast step. It appeared to have a similar material originally. I use butyl for most other deck hardware, but I think the mast step benefits from an adhesive sealant.
Chuck
1976 Bristol 24
"Harmony"
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

I do not use butyl at all. If I did, the only application would be ports. This might change for ports though, I am beginning to like the idea of butyl in this application. Because it never cures it will always be prone to being squashed out when forces act upon the item bedded with it. There really are no such forces on ports. There are on deck hardware and such. There certainly is on a mast step. I do not see any real need for a strong adhesive sealant on a mast step as the loads on it are mostly compression, not lateral. A moderately adhesive sealant might be called for, though one could argue that no adhesive property is needed at all.

Anyway, enough distraction form the original question. I would choose a polysulfide or a moderately adhesive polyurethane depending on which I had an open tube of.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.