Fixed portlight; Window Replacement

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
hriehl1
Topside Painter
Boat Name: s/v Mooney Hahn
Boat Type: '68 DS I; '68 Hinterhoeller 28

Fixed portlight; Window Replacement

Post by hriehl1 »

I have 4 large, (non-standard) sized fixed portlights in the main cabin, all with (probably original) badly-glazed acrylic set in what appears to be a 2-part (interior & exterior mating) aluminum frame-set that is currently (poorly) riveted thru the cabin-sides.

I need to remove these 4 portlights and keep them out for a week-or-two so I can do some interior finish-work around the portlight areas and get replacement glass and any other bedding or (vinyl?) weatherstripping materials I may need to reassemble and reinstall the portlights (thru-bolts, no rivets).

Some questions:

1. Can anyone point me to references or web resources where portlight re-builds are discussed in some detail? I've looked far and wide but without much luck. I really have no clue what I'll be faced with when these things come off, but I am guessing that the only things re-usable will be the aluminum frames.

2. The acrylic is "sealed" within the frame by what I assume is a proprietary-design weatherstripping. Does anyone know of a good source where replacement weatherstripping might be sourced? Or maybe it won't be proprietary... many portlight manufacturers used the same stuff? Or I can use butyl tape to seal the acrylic in the frame, and the frame to the cabinside?

Just looking for any hints or gotchas from others who've faced a similar job. I've found very little in my research (except Casey's approach to do-away with frames altogether and just attach acrylic or polycarbonate to the cabin sides... that offends even my (very low) aesthetic threshold.

Thanks
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Fixed portlight; Window Replacement

Post by Hirilondë »

hriehl1 wrote: do-away with frames altogether and just attach acrylic or polycarbonate to the cabin sides... that offends even my (very low) aesthetic threshold.
You will find several if not many of us who have chosen a method that offends you then.

exterior:

interior:
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Please, take that ugly boat away!

(And give it to me ;)
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

hriehl1,

I know I've seen various descriptions/articles about taking out and replacing large, fixed ports, but of course I can't think where now.

Here are links to a couple of not-exactly-applicable articles that you might still be able to glean some info from. And, I suppose you won't really know what your job will entail until you get the current ports out and can have a look at them.

Maine sail (a participant in this forum) discusses putting new portlights in his boat:

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/nfm_port_lights

Owners of an Allied Seabreeze cast new alumapoxy portlight frames for their boat:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... est+System

Maybe this thread can become a good reference in itself once you get going on your ports :)

Rachel
hriehl1
Topside Painter

Post by hriehl1 »

OK Hirilondë, my apologies. I am extremely impressed. While your interior treatment is WAY beyond my modest talents, can you elaborate what you did on the exterior to achieve that framed look and how you assembled the whole thing? If I could duplicate that exterior look, I'd be very very pleased.

Rachel, I'll check out those references, thanks.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane

Post by Hirilondë »

Here is a link to a thread that started out as a discussion of my interior trims and evolved into a discussion of several ways to do fixed ports:

http://plasticclassicforum.com/viewtopi ... port+trims

Discussion here sometimes seem to develop a life of their own. Often they drift, but usually into some good related topics. Try some other searches and when you find some ideas that you like feel free to use them to continue this thread into developing what will work best for you.
Dave Finnegan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

A number of us have oohed and ahhed about this lovely bit of Dave's work. However, don't ever think of yourself that you cannot do it. This Forum is all about how, and encouragement.

Basically, if your are intent on doing something lovely and getting it skillfully done, research the issue, and go for it! Much of what's lovely and well done is simply a matter of applying knowledge (hopefully available here and elsewhere), time, maybe a bit of money or successful scrounging, and work.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

hrieh1, you're in luck.

Don's Alberg 30 project blog just now is covering the complete reconditioning and re-lensing of his large, fixed portlights (A-30's have aluminum frames, btw).

http://alberg30.blogspot.com/2010/09/portlights.html

Btw, I believe Don is a member here, although not a frequent poster. He has built his A-30 up from a (very!) bare hull.
hriehl1
Topside Painter

Post by hriehl1 »

Quetzalsailor
Thanks for the words of encouragement, but that elegant finish-work is not only beyond my talents, it is also (frankly) beyond my own interests. I've acquired this boat with the goal of getting on the water next spring with something structurally safe and sound with not a lot of regard for aesthetics because that additional work that would probably cost me a full sailing season at the pace I work. Plus, I'm reticent to invest too much time or money in a boat that even in totally bristol condition probably couldn't fetch $10,000.

Rachel... thanks for the links... much to review this weekend when I drill-out one of the four to see just what I have on my hands.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane

Post by Hirilondë »

If you can remove your frames in good condition then by all means use them again. Mine were so pitted that it wasn't an option. Some have even removed, sanded, cleaned and painted old frames due to the failure of the anodizing. There are many ways to do this project. Just be careful in making assumptions about what looks good until you have properly researched. Good luck with your projects and getting in the water next spring.

edit: BTW, my interior trims weren't made until the 3rd season after my big retrofit of the boat. There is always the option of "finishing" the exterior and leaving cosmetic interior work for another winter.

There are a few of us here who don't finish everything the first winter. ;-)
Dave Finnegan