More on De-Chromed Bronze

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
hriehl1
Topside Painter
Boat Name: s/v Mooney Hahn
Boat Type: '68 DS I; '68 Hinterhoeller 28

More on De-Chromed Bronze

Post by hriehl1 »

Having removed all deck hardware, the 40+ year old chrome-over-bronze hardware is really shabby. I plan to take the hardware to a shop that can remove all the chrome and revert the hardware back to pure bronze (I prefer that look).

This hardware was originally-installed with Stainless bolts. After removing the chrome and making the hardware all-bronze, can I re-use the Stainless bolts to re-attach them? I ask in regards to corrosion between dissimilar metals, not appearance.

Now it also may be the appearance does not satisfy, and I'll want bronze bolts, washers and nuts as well. Jamestown Distributors certainly sells everything I'd want, but they sell in quantities of 100. If I need 12 of a certain size bolt, I'm not keen on paying for 100 (yes, I am cheap). Does anyone know of a source for bronze attachment hardware in smaller quantities than per-hundred? All I've ever seen at West is stainless.

Many Thanks
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: More on De-Chromed Bronze

Post by Rachel »

Bronze and stainless are pretty close on the scale of nobility, so you would probably be okay.

On the other hand, stainless fasteners can suffer from crevice-corrosion, and, well... if I were going to all the trouble you are, I would just replace with bronze.

I know there are places that sell smaller amounts than 100, but I can't name any off-hand (maybe bolt depot?)
Drew
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Drew »

I have had excellent service with small orders of fasteners from bolt depot.

http://www.boltdepot.com/

Drew
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Even if I were to use S/S again, as Rachel already said there is no really corrosion issue, I would replace them. I don't trust old fasteners and with all the trouble you are going through to refurbish and rebed the hardware why not go all the way and know you have done it all?

I would go bronze though.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

One approach is to determine one common fastener size that will work for most of your applications, and buy the box of 100. This approach as the virtue of simplifying your inventory (of drill bits and taps as well as bolts and nuts), which is a very nice virtue indeed. I think 90% of my boat is either 1/4-20 or 10-24.
They don't go bad sitting on the shelf, and you'll use them in time. Or sell your extras on ebay.

Another approach is to buy someone else's extras on ebay, though you then are less certain of their lineage.