Stress Cracks and Painting

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
hriehl1
Topside Painter
Boat Name: s/v Mooney Hahn
Boat Type: '68 DS I; '68 Hinterhoeller 28

Stress Cracks and Painting

Post by hriehl1 »

1968 Hinterhoeller HR28
The attached photo shows some stress cracks around a deck-mounted block fitting, and there are several more similarly-stressed areas around stanchion bases, etc. Not severe, but definately there. And almost the entire deck is alligatored... superficial but it exists most everywhere.

After buttoning-up all deck holes for the winter so I can fininsh the interior, I plan to paint the deck with 2-part super-thin polyurethane (Interlux Perfection or similar) next spring. Can I expect aggressive sanding will remove most alligatoring and most stress cracks; and will two coats of primer and two finish coats likely hide whatever remains? I know Perfection exposes most every flaw but I do plan to sand extensively.

Thanks for whatever advice or experience you can provide.

An interesting discovery... the two stanchion bases thru-bolted into the main saloon had nicely finished plywood backing plates. The other stanchions further forward and somewhat hidden in the head, hanging locker and V-berth did not have backing plates. I bought this boat largely on Hinterhoeller's reputation as a quality builder, but this discovery smacks of shortcutting.
Attachments
bed_cracks.jpg
The Froon
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Re: Stress Cracks and Painting

Post by The Froon »

You will want to "chase" out those cracks as much possible, within reason...because they are likely to show up again after you spend a great deal of care and time on a nice topsides job. If you have spiderwebbing across much of the surface, like I did, I would dig out the worst of the worst, and then apply a few coats of Interlux Epoxy Primekote (as I am, and since you are also planning on using Interlux Perfection). I applied three coats of the Epoxy Primekote, and will be doing a fourth prior to beginning the application of Perfection. The darker colors will show more substrate imperfections I believe.

have fun....

Brian
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Just out of curiosity: Are the radiating cracks around all of the stanchion bases? Or just the ones that did not have backing plates?

Rachel
hriehl1
Topside Painter

Post by hriehl1 »

Rachel... I'll have to check on that.

I don't even recall the photo's origin but I do not think it was a stanchion base because they are (I think) all square (except maybe the two aft deck-level lifeline terminators, which this photo may be and it did not have a backing plate. I took so many pieces of hardware off yesterday that my head is swimming. I was gonna count the holes in the deck and cabin, but I lost interest after dark.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Isn't it amazing how many holes/pieces of hardware there are once you start removing them?!
hriehl1
Topside Painter

Post by hriehl1 »

The PO put 32 holes in the cabin sides... one at each corner of 8 portlights to secure curtain rods !!

Wouldn't you think he could have come up with something less invasive to hang 8 little curtains (like epoxy, or 5200, or even Gorilla Glue for crying out loud? Oh well. they'll be quick to fill & fair and I'm planning to paint anyway.