Rubber Gaskets on some deck fittings

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
hriehl1
Topside Painter
Boat Name: s/v Mooney Hahn
Boat Type: '68 DS I; '68 Hinterhoeller 28

Rubber Gaskets on some deck fittings

Post by hriehl1 »

I removed all deck hardware and some fittings (clam cleats, brass bell bracket, a few others) had black rubber-like gaskets and no other bedding material. Some rubber gaskets were intact, others a bit cracked.

When I buy new hardware, some of which comes with gaskets, do I use them without bedding material... or use them with?

For those hardware items I re-use rather than replace, can one buy sheet-rubber material to fashion one's own replacement gaskets? I asume I'd need a punch to get clean bolt-holes. If this is vialble, does anyone have an online source for the gasket material and punches?

Many Thanks
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Rubber Gaskets on some deck fittings

Post by Hirilondë »

Gaskets or bedding.

McMaster-Carr has sheet rubber and punches. I am not a big fan of gaskets for hardware, but if the surfaces are smooth they can work fine.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
hriehl1
Topside Painter
Boat Name: s/v Mooney Hahn
Boat Type: '68 DS I; '68 Hinterhoeller 28

Re: Rubber Gaskets on some deck fittings

Post by hriehl1 »

Thank you... after seeing the success of the butyl tape bedding method in a companion post, I think I'll go that route. This is a job I want to do just once, and do right.

I'll willingly cut corners on aesthetics to get on the water sooner, but not with items that will save only a couple hours now but may cause big headaches later.