Refit of Triton 227

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Scott
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Refit of Triton 227

Post by Scott »

Haven't posted in awhile but thought I'd give an update on the progree of 227. She's made the trip from Conn.and is now in her new temporary home along the shores of the Bras d'Or lake in Cape Breton in Jens Sauer's Boatyard (here's the link if your interested, Jens does excellent work: http://www.boatbuildingcanada.com/index.html.)
Thanks for the cradle plans Steve Scoll! She's sitting on your cradle in these pics! I've got her stripped off and ready for sanding. I think the cracking and crazing issues are a little daunting so have decided I should cover the deck and coach roof with a layer of fibreglass and fair that, as opposed to dealing with the crazing. I haven't even considered the hull issues yet, but clearly, looking at the water leaking out above the ballast I've got some major work to do there.
I am posting a few pics, one of which shows the extreme crazing I am dealing with. I would appreciate any tips or comments re my intention to cover it with a layer of glass, such as cloth weight fairing and just general dos and don'ts from anyone who has gone this way.
Scott
Attachments
IMG_0120 copy.jpg
IMG_0120 copy.jpg (85.67 KiB) Viewed 1706 times
IMG_0138 copy.jpg
IMG_0138 copy.jpg (64.37 KiB) Viewed 1703 times
IMG_0139 copy.jpg
IMG_0139 copy.jpg (84.24 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
Have recently purchased Pearson Triton which I will be restoring over the coming months/years!
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Re: Refit of Triton 227

Post by Quetzalsailor »

My gut reaction is that you should grind off all that gelcoat and enough more to be sure the crazing/cracks are gone. I think buried crazing will eventually telegraph through the new finish. A thickness of glass won't hurt but if you have not removed much then I would not think there's much point in adding some. I think there's lots to be said for a nice, uniform substrate for a finish.

But, I await Tim or Hirilonde to have the real dope.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I would tend to think "grind gelcoat off and start fresh" myself. Also, if you have any wet core or de-bonding (or both) you could take care of it and lay down a new top skin over those areas.

That's not to say either way would not work though.

Rachel
Scott
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Scott »

Yes, I am going to sand off the existing gelcoat before applying the fibreglass. Fortunately the deck is solid, so I won't have to worry about recoring.
Have recently purchased Pearson Triton which I will be restoring over the coming months/years!
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Quetzalsailor wrote:
But, I await Tim or Hirilonde to have the real dope.
I may claim some expertise on carpentry subjects, but for fiberglass subjects I am an amateur like most here. But thanks for the kind words. But since I am replying here I will say that I also am a fan of removing problems vs. trying to cover them up.
Scott wrote:Yes, I am going to sand off the existing gelcoat before applying the fibreglass.
Factor in also that Tritons, like many of the boats of the 60s are over built. They don't need more weight. Once you finish sanding I would go straight to epoxy filler fairing and finish sanding.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
robdarden
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Katherine
Boat Type: Sailmaster 26 Mk ll

Post by robdarden »

I am restoring a Sailmaster 26 Mk ll about 1968 with severe crazing of the gel coat everywhere. I lucked into 10 gallons of Olympic Zeron two part epoxy swimming pool paint at the local Habitat for Humanity resale store for $4.00 a gallon. Bought all 10.. I mixed a gallon and rolled and tipped it on the outside of the boat from gunwhale to keel bottom both sides. I had about half a gallon left and it has set up hard and glossy white and no crazing shows through. However it is too thick to properly tip out. It gave a 5 or 10 foot job. I will next experiment with the proper thinner. Brand new the Zeron is about $50.00 a gallon which is sure cheaper and easier than grinding all the gelcoat off.