Morey's Red Grease on Lewmar Winches?

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Chesapeake Bob
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Aloha Spirit
Boat Type: Cape Dory 30

Morey's Red Grease on Lewmar Winches?

Post by Chesapeake Bob »

I was introduced to Morey's Red grease a couple of years ago, and it has been fantatsic for seacocks. Any thoughts about using this waterproof grease on Lewmar winch bearings?

Thanks,

Chesapeake Bob
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Re: Morey's Red Grease on Lewmar Winches?

Post by earlylight »

Bob,

Where do you purchase Morey's Red Grease?
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I'm not Bob, but I remembered reading about it on the Cape Dory forum. Most (all?) Cape Dorys came with Spartan bronze tapered-cone seacocks, and people use it to lubricate them. The product they use is Morey's Oil Super Red Premium Multi-Purpose EP Grease. They mentioned buying it at NAPA.

I found it at NAPA online, by using "Annapolis, MD" as the location. It's their part number "NCB 3209"

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail ... 0006406740

http://www.moreysoil.com/products.cfm

People commented that it might be a bit heavy for winches, which would not surprise me.

Rachel
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Morey's looks like good stuff.

Why not use Lewmar's, or any other winch mfr's recommended grease? Any grease which is, or will become too stiff over time would tend to slow the pawls from engaging. Any grease which is too thin won't stay where it's supposed to and won't hold the balls and pawls in place during reassembly (an old Sturmey-Archer trick that might not be applicable for winches).
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

This is another example where I wish I really knew what official winch grease really was. It looks and feels exactly like petroleum jelly. It would not surprise me in the least if the formulation were identical to Vaseline. Simply put it in a tube, label it marine, and quadruple the price. I am so tempted to use Vaseline next time on mine. I might even buy the generic brand in the big jar at the drug store.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Chesapeake Bob
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Chesapeake Bob »

Reply to Rachel and Questal:

Rachel is correct. I learned about Morey's over on the Cape Dory Board. It is spectacular on the Spartan sea cocks.

Questal... The grease is not used on the pawls and springs. The grease is used on the bearings and gears. Oil is used on the pawls and springs.

I am not sure about the Vaseline idea. The reason I use Morey's on the sea cocks is 1. It works GREAT and 2. I am not paying a premium for the Spartan label on their grease.

I am now looking for the same solution for the winch grease.

Chesapeake Bob
Cape Dory 30
sv "Aloha Spirit"
rshowarth
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by rshowarth »

Bob-

Did you find a solution for your winch grease?

Read
Read

Catalina 27
O'Day Rhodes 19 Custodian
Chesapeake Bob
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Chesapeake Bob »

Read...
From experience on two of my winches... The Morey's is a little "heavy" for the winches. My search for the perfect, yet reasoanably priced grease for winches continues. The Morey's Red is PERFECT for bronze seacocks. I would like to find that same "perfect grease" for winches, without paying for the "Lewmar" name on the label. I am just trying to be frugal.

Chesapeake Bob
Cape Dory 30
rshowarth

Post by rshowarth »

Bob-

Thk you for responding. I will go wih Lewmar for now.

Read
Read

Catalina 27
O'Day Rhodes 19 Custodian
Shark
Boat Name: Scoot
Boat Type: Shark 24

Post by Shark »

I tried Harkens winch grease in my Lewmar 7 cockpit winches and Lewmar 6 cabin top winches. I didn't like it. I used it sparingly but found it too stiff and sticky. It slowed down my winches too much.

This year I cleaned them out and lubricated them with light oil. They operate much better. As our season is short, only about 6 months, I will be cleaning them out and using oil on an annual basis.
Lyman
Shark 24
http://www.shark24.ca