Filling Seacock Holes

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
rickal4884
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Filling Seacock Holes

Post by rickal4884 »

Would someone please give me an idea how to fill the holes left by the removal of the seacocks used for the head and sink drain? Is a simple plug of polyester resin sufficient?
Popeye1865
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Re: Filling Seacock Holes

Post by Popeye1865 »

the best way is to grind inside/out (large taper) and apply layers of glass ( i prefer epoxy not any ester) to build up to original hull thickness. there are many other ways to accomplish this but anything short of scarfing and re-glassing is a compromise in my opinion.
Oscar
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Post by Oscar »

What he said.
Out there, alone, there is only truth.
Idon84
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Cosmic Dancer
Boat Type: Hess Cutter

Post by Idon84 »

Seconded!

Grind a bevel then multiple round pieces of cloth (I use 1708 Biax) to build up thickness again from the inside. Fill and fair the outside once done. I only use epoxy for my repairs. Good Luck!, but it's not all that difficult.
Bryon
Cosmic Dancer
1980, Hess Cutter.
http://www.picasaweb.com/idon84
Idon84
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Cosmic Dancer
Boat Type: Hess Cutter

Post by Idon84 »

Here is a quick pic. You can see the multiple layers of round cloth in successive layers. On this one I started with 10" then an 8" then 6" etc... Not shown is the final layer which was square & bigger than the whole repair by about 4" all the way around.
Attachments
IMG_0378.JPG
Bryon
Cosmic Dancer
1980, Hess Cutter.
http://www.picasaweb.com/idon84
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

The makers of West System put out some pretty good 'How-To' pamphlets.

You can get what you need here (Chapter 4 covers your specific situation) or you can buy the pamphlet at West Marine and other places for around $3.

Highly recommended. Nice pictures. Good information from the people that actually make the stuff rather than the half-baked, hairbrained, hallucinations and fantasies that abound around boatyards and internet forums. ;-)

West puts out some real books too that are great if you are so inclined.

Don Casey's Good Old Boat has some nice pictures too if I remember correctly.

Oh, and the free online pamphlet spells out the same methods the others have just described in the preceeding posts.
Is a simple plug of polyester resin sufficient?
No.

Polyester resin = poor mechanical bonding when compared to epoxy, shrinkage as it cures (up to 8%), poor moisture barrier, less durable than epoxy = never a good choice for repair work.

Somehow I always get in trouble when I bring these facts up though...
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

As long as you have access, my personal preference is to grind a taper on both sides of the hole. This allows for a smaller tapered area, and creates a flange on both sides of the hole, imho a neater and stronger fix with less damage to the surrounding area.

West Systems website has an informative how-to article on this very subject. I used the method described in "Example 8" to plug my old transducer and thru hull holes.
Hope this helps!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
The Froon
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by The Froon »

Check out my latest blog entry as I just completed this very job - my first attempt at filling old through-hulls. I am going to lay down a couple 6oz layers on the inside as well...

Brian