Marelon seacock maintenance

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Marelon seacock maintenance

Post by bcooke »

Just thought I would pass along a tidbit I got from a Forespar techie yesterday (answered me by email in the middle of the night surprisingly).

I was asking about their preferred lubricant and got this response:
You can use any type of waterproof grease you would like to use. Just do not use a spray type as the propellants in the can will cause the o-rings and seals to swell up and your only recourse after that is to completely replace the valve.
That bit about the spray lubricant was interesting.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Oscar
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Re: Marelon seacock maintenance

Post by Oscar »

I had nine marelon seacocks on LKIII. The way I maintained them was to use them. Anytime I left the boat ALL were closed. Underway only those in use were opened, for as long as needed. I knew where all were in the dark, and there was nothing in the spaces to obstruct access, or worse, get banged around and damage them. The only exception to this rule was bags of tortilla chips or similar soft materials. They turned smoothly, never used a lubricant.
Out there, alone, there is only truth.
s/v Faith
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: s/v 'Faith'
Boat Type: 1964 Pearson Ariel (#226)

Re: Marelon seacock maintenance

Post by s/v Faith »

It IS possible to wear them out. I have marelon for my head sea cocks (proper cocks). I and my wife open and close them each time we use the head, and never used anything special other then a little vegetable oil (for the leather in the pump).

After 5 years of regular use, the discharge (1.5") will allow water to seep in and fill the bowl. We have to check it and re-check it each time we use it... it only leaks when fully closed. If we leave the handle 1/2" shy of closed it seals ok. I suspect that the ball became worn with regular use and sea life that ground the plastic slightly each time the valve was opened.
1964 Pearson Ariel #226
'Faith' (the Triton's little sister)

Referred by;

www.sailfar.net

and

www.pearsonariel.org