Amine Blush.. because I'm anal

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Jasper Windvane
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Amine Blush.. because I'm anal

Post by Jasper Windvane »

Making sure I have this right .. take a spray bottle such as an empty Windex spray bottle.. fill with clear, no soap, or anything .. water.
After the epoxy has dryed .. spray the surface with the spray bottle or plain water and scrub the surface with a scotch brite pad ..

After scrubbing .. dry off with towel..

Now.. I can sand, and later paint .. right?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

It's as simple as that. It doesn't take much.

For your own reference, note what the surface looks like before you wash, and then later after it's washed and dried. There's a clear difference in appearance.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

as simple as that, as Tim says. Or you can use a bucket of water and a scrubber, then just wipe it down dry.

It's really not the bugaboo people make it out to be.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

If you run your hand over the cured epoxy you will feel a film that is quite oily. It will seem that only soap will remove it, and for years I insisted soap was necessary. Well it isn't, it is as easy as your description.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

The Gougeon's used to call for ammonia water. They have dropped the ammonia part now-
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Here's the information direct from the source.
www.westsystem.com wrote:Cured epoxy-Amine blush can appear as a wax-like film on cured epoxy surfaces. It is a by-product of the curing process and may be more noticeable in cool, moist conditions. Amine blush can clog sandpaper and inhibit subsequent bonding, but it can easily be removed. It's a good idea to assume it has formed on any cured epoxy surface.

To remove the blush, wash the surface with clean water (not solvent) and an abrasive pad, such as Scotch-brite(TM) 7447 General Purpose Hand Pads. Dry the surface with paper towels to remove the dissolved blush before it dries on the surface. Sand any remaining glossy areas with 80-grit sandpaper. Wet-sanding will also remove the amine blush. If a release fabric is applied over the surface of fresh epoxy, amine blush will be removed when the release fabric is peeled from the cured epoxy and no additional sanding is required.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating