Epoxy Cleanup

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
keelbolts
Skilled Systems Installer

Epoxy Cleanup

Post by keelbolts »

I'm motivated to put this up by the last two threads I just read. Most of you probably know this, but, for the newbies who don't, there is nothing better for cleaning up uncured epoxy than plain old white vinegar. I love that. We are regularly swimming in a sea of deadly chemicals and, here, you can clean up with something you can drink.
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

Plus, acetone, MEK and other harsh solvents are potent carcinogens. There was time I would wash my hands with the stuff, but no more. A sailor I sail with and against often has had kidney cancer that was linked to these solvents - a battle he's still fighting with a fraction of one kidney.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Acetone by itself is not a carcinogen, and in fact is one of the safest organic solvents. Chronic exposures in conjunction with certain other solvents (specifically chlorinated hydrocarbons) can increase the potential for liver and kidney damage, but on its own acetone is generally misunderstood as a hazard and is far safer than people think. Its extremely fast evaporation rate causes some to think that it's absorbed instantly into the skin, which is not the case.

It is highly flammable and poisonous if ingested, of course. Limiting overexposure to all chemicals by using proper safety precautions and personal protection (gloves, etc.) is a wise practice, regardless of how safe or unsafe we think they are.

Because of its strong evaporation rate, acetone fumes can quickly overwhelm without proper ventilation. Acetone also has significant drying effects on the skin, which is the number one health hazard related directly to acetone.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

keelbolts wrote:Most of you probably know this, but, for the newbies who don't, there is nothing better for cleaning up uncured epoxy than plain old white vinegar.
Yup, and alcohol and mineral spirits work as well.

There are definitely some dangerous chemicals used in the boating industry. My biggest worries are from 2-part paints and finishes that use isocyantes. LPUs and Bristol Finish are 2 of them. These products are both carcinogens and mutagens. And another is lacquers and its thinners which contain a lot of ingredients that end in "ene". Xylene is the most common. Most all "enes" cause central nervous system damage.

You should get a hold of the MSDS for any product you don't know well already and read them. I am always amazed by how little the packaging and labels tell you, and that dangers aren't always shown up front.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Thanks Tim- I was about to say the same thing about Acetone.

Remember to - thousands of women use the stuff to remove finger nail polish every day around the world, with no harm. Cause fingernail polish remover is basically Acetone.
PGplastic
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by PGplastic »

Acetone: Also good for easing the forefinger-thumb clamp after supergluing two small parts together.
s/v Little Wing
Com-Pac 16
keelbolts

Post by keelbolts »

Thanks, Tim, for that info. I didn't know acetone was so relatively benign.

I've tried mineral spirits to clean up my tools as I'm epoxying, but not alcohol. I imagine denatured alcohol would work. If nothing else, vinegar is cheap and, often, in the pantry.
Celerity - 1970 Morgan 30

How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges in it?
Capn_Tom
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by Capn_Tom »

And it smells like your coloring easter eggs!
The board does not cut itself short!
Summersdawn

Post by Summersdawn »

Vinegear is excellent for cleaning skin - put I would use alcohol or mineral spirits for cleaning metal tools, as it almost instantly causes rust on steel.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380