Installing cockpit drains

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Peter Jenny

Post by Peter Jenny »

I am in the process of installing two additional drains at the rear of the cockpit of my Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer. I am using the same ones that Tim used in his daysailer project and was wondering how he camfered the cast brass drains flush into the floor of the cockpit. The drain pieces have a beveled (tapered) edge and there must be some clever trick to doing this neatly. I recall that this subject has been disscussed before, but I can't locate it.

Pete Jenny
Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer III
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Hi Pete,

Here is a link to my description of the process from the Daysailor. It worked like a charm. A 2" hole saw is just small enough to hold the fitting by the very top of the bevel; I hand-sanded a slight bevel at the top of the hole to allow the fitting to fit flush.

If you have any questions after reading my description below, let me know. Good luck!

http://www.thedaysailor.com/rebuilding/ ... uppers.htm
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Peter Jenny

Post by Peter Jenny »

Thanks Tim. I looked at your section in the daysailer log and it answered all my questions. What a great resource!

Pete