Location of Water Tank Supply Line

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
triton318
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Dove
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Location of Water Tank Supply Line

Post by triton318 »

I was reading about potable water tanks, and I read the following:

"The pipe for drawing off the liquid should enter through the top of the tank and not quite reach the bottom."

The only reason I can think of for doing this would be that if area where the draw hose connects to the tank springs a leak, all the water won't run out of the tank. Any other reasons you can think of?

However, if you place the draw hose connection near the bottom of the tank, then gravity would allow you to have access to the water should your pump fail. This is what I'm inclined to do.

Any thoughts?
Jay
Dove, Pearson Triton #318
Hayes, VA
David

Post by David »

To my knowlegdge, all tanks: water, fuel and waste, should be top draw tanks, for the reason that you stated.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Also, if there's any slumgullion in the bottom of the tank, it will come out through the bottom-draw tube, but not if you use a top outlet with a pick up tube.

I guess if it were me, I'd rather have the benefits to the top outlet, and then figure out a way to get the water out if (all of the pumps) fail. It wouldn't be convenient, but there would be ways.

Rachel
kendall
Master Varnisher

Post by kendall »

I prefer the bottom draw, actually reduces the buildup of crud, and it's much easier to draw water from. Just need to maintain the fittings.

Ken.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

I don't think that with a water tank it matters much. The volume of water won't sink the boat, and it is clean. Now with a black water tank, or fuel tank you have a quite different story. I have only manual sink pumps, so I like my bottom of tank fitting. But for my holding tank I like the pick up dip tube a lot. I am convinced it helps reduce the chance of odors as there is never any pressure on the fitting or connection to cause even seepage and hence a smell.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.